British expat moving back to uk with canadian wife

Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:01 am
Just Joined

britishmale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat moving back to uk with canadian wife

Hey guys,

So its my first time in this forum and just wanted some advice.

So I have been living in canada for 4 years, me and my wife have decided to return and live in the uk as my mother is not well and needs looking after.

Now the current job I am working at does not pay me enough to cover 18,600 pounds back home thats the job in canada, but i do have savings. I have savings of 32,000 pounds in my uk bank account, and my joint bank account in canada with the wife I have so far $24,000.

Now when i read up the financial requirement part it said that working overseas i can combine my savings with what i currently earn in canada to make up the short fall is this right?

Secondly I have been offered a job back home thats starting at 20,000 pounds as in the financial requirements it states i need 2 things in place, the income or combination of savings and income equivalent to 18,600 pounds, and a job letter back home exceeding 18,600 pounds.

I have also been told joint accounts are allowed an do qualify aswell.

Now i have gotten all this information from the financial requirements guide am i correct in what I am saying?

Also i still have my name on the mortgage back home in the uk where my mother currently lives, so accommodation for us wont be a problem.

What I have read in this forum so far is that savings are allowed to be combined with income earned to make up any shortfalls.

I would love some feedback and guidance in this thanks alot guys.

I forgot to mention we currently do not have any kids at all.

Thanks again guys.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat moving back to uk with canadian wife

Sounds like you have read the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

If so, and you have worked out how you qualify from this document, then you are correct.

Joint accounts are eligible

Savings can be used with income to make up shortfall.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

A few other points for the OP to consider -

1) Would the OP considers taking Canadian citizenship before leaving for the UK, just in case things don't work out in the UK for the OP and the wife. Having Canadian citizenship means that the OP can return at any time.

2) If the OP's wife got the visa for the UK, she should be thinking of getting an UK bank account set up before arriving. HSBC offers this kind of service. The OP can get more details from the link below -

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/new...banking-centre

3) Does the OP's wife qualifies for an UK Ancestry visa? If one of her grandparents was born in the UK and she holds a Commonwealth passport (i.e. Canadian), then she can get an UK Ancestry visa, which is easier to get than an UK spouse visa.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

Last edited by HKG3; Sep 25th 2016 at 5:18 pm. Reason: Add link
Old Sep 25th 2016, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
.... 3) Does the OP's wife qualifies for an UK Ancestry visa? If one of her grandparents was born in the UK ....
Or for another country in the European Onion that issues passports to descendants (with a passport issued by an EU country she wouldn't need a visa to live in the UK), with Ireland and Italy often being mentioned, and also I hear that Hungary will; there may be others.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

hey guys,

I sound stupid right now but hat does OP stand for?

secondly my wifes mum was born in africa and held a british passport since her mum has passed away we do have her mums passport. can i do anything with this.

i read the financial requirements form and it states in black and white about what is required i do have alot more questions but i will ask as i go through the form.

Currently i just hold a resident permit which is for 5 years. I plan on returning to the UK to build my life with the mrs there, plus look after my mum.

The wife is a canadian citizen she holds the candian passport, she used to visit me when i was living in the UK recently, pus we did go back for 3 months in 2013 for my fathers death which is what I was going to show in the paperwork aswell.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishmale

secondly my wifes mum was born in africa and held a british passport since her mum has passed away we do have her mums passport. can i do anything with this.
What British nationality status your mother-in-law had in the said passport above?

The OP's wife may be entitle to British citizenship if at the time of the OP's mother-in-law's birth, her father (i.e. OP's wife's grandfather) was in Crown Service.

An example of Crown Service is a UK recruited staff from the Foreign Office being posted overseas as part of his/her duties.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys,

I sound stupid right now but hat does OP stand for?

secondly my wifes mum was born in africa and held a british passport since her mum has passed away we do have her mums passport. can i do anything with this. .....
OP = original poster, i.e. in this case, you.

If your wife's mother was born in Africa we would need to know more about the circumstances - which country, when, and what was her father doing by way of employment - was he working for the British government?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=HKG3;12061240]A few other points for the OP to consider -

1) Would the OP considers taking Canadian citizenship before leaving for the UK, just in case things don't work out in the UK for the OP and the wife. Having Canadian citizenship means that the OP can return at any time.

If i was honest once i move back to the UK i plan on staying there and raising children and having a family. Once we leave canada we have no intention on coming back to canada to be honest.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If i was honest once i move back to the UK i plan on staying there and raising children and having a family. Once we leave canada we have no intention on coming back to canada to be honest.
You may not have any intention of moving back to Canada but you may end up having to if your wife has a similar situation with elderly or sick relatives to care for. It's a small outlay for a very big insurance policy.

Africa is a big place. Which African country was your mother-in-law born in and when? Where were her parents (your wife's grandparents) born?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

hey britinparis

i understand where your coming from, but my wifes mother has passed away back in 2009, and her father and her relationship is not the best. (not on talking terms).

so shes pretty much alone and its just me and her and now my mother is ill and needs caring we have made this choice.

i will get back to you about my mother in laws passport once i have checked what it states. she was born in east africa in narobi
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not now, perhaps, but why rule it out for the future? The "I" rather than "we" is a clue.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not now, perhaps, but why rule it out for the future? The "I" rather than "we" is a clue.
lol ... i mistyped that it was supposed to say "we" lol ...
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I would also certainly advise OP to get Canadian citizenship because you may not think about it now but who knows what the future holds. Countries can change rules for citizenships and visas (like what happened with British spouse visa) and you will kick yourself later. Some countries it is easier to travel to on Canadian passports. Your wife may not like England and your children may one day want to go live there. It is just much easier as a couple to have same nationalities. Think long term not just today!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys,

so i just checked my mother in laws british passport, and her nationality states,:

'British Overseas Citizen'

the passport she holds is the old british passport, where the cover shows UNited kingdom of great britain and nothern island.

Is that any good?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

so i just checked my mother in laws british passport, and her nationality states,:

'British Overseas Citizen'

the passport she holds is the old british passport, where the cover shows UNited kingdom of great britain and nothern island.

Is that any good?
Might be if you provide additional information.

When and where was your mother in law born?
When did she obtain this british passport?

Did your mother in law ever take Canadian citizenship? When did she move to Canada?

Presume your wife was born in Canada?

Where were your wife's grandparents born and when?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.