British Citizenship eligibility for Kiwi?

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

slimecity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship eligibility for Kiwi?

Hi - you probably get queries like this all the time, so apologies.

The convoluted UK immigration system and process has my head spinning. I want to query/confirm my suspicions that Im not actually eligible to apply for either citizenship or an Ancestry visa and would like your views on this:

Im 44 years old, I was born in 1972 in NZ to a kiwi mother. I am in touch with my natural father however was legally adopted around 3 years after my birth by my step-dad, who was a UK citizen (he was born in Malaysia in the 50's to English parents). So the upshot of this is that my UK "father" is actually my step-dad however he appears on my birth certificate as my father, and there are also adoption papers. At the time Steve adopted me, my parents also married in NZ.

If the above "doesn't work" for potential citizenship, then how about eligibility for an Ancestry visa? Steves' parents were UK citizens as advised above, however looking at the UK Govt website on the subject, it seems to categorically state that ancestry cannot be applied for via a step parent.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated, I love the UK. Cheers Simon
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizenship eligibility for Kiwi?

British citizenship is likely not an option (unless your natural father has a connection to the UK) as, if eligible, your adoptive father would have needed to registered you as a British citizen before you turned 18.

As for an ancestry visa, you are correct that you cannot claim ancestry through a step-parent, but you can do so through an adoptive parent. As your stepfather also legally adopted you and his parents were born in the UK then you should qualify for an ancestry visa on that basis.

Five years living and working in the UK would make you eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain and a year later British citizenship by naturalisation. If you marry a British citizen in the meantime then you can apply for naturalisation as soon as acquire ILR.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

slimecity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizenship eligibility for Kiwi?

Thanks a lot for the reply - I guess the Ancestry Visa is the one to aim for then!

Cheers simon