Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by alliekat
Even though I read the small print and the insurance would have covered me had I been able to get the forms filled out, I didn't anticipate the complete lack of cooperation from the health professionals in England.
We've experienced similar problems. We found that once you made it clear it wasn't for a UK based insurance they were a lot happier to help. It appears that docotors are scared of UK travel insurance companies questioning (or worse, sueing) them for stating someone is unable to travel.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
If you are going to visit a country (where you are not resident) then make sure you have health insurance
Quite right.

But this is about people residing rather than visiting isn't it?

Or has the thread topic suddenly changed?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

alliekat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
We've experienced similar problems. We found that once you made it clear it wasn't for a UK based insurance they were a lot happier to help. It appears that docotors are scared of UK travel insurance companies questioning (or worse, sueing) them for stating someone is unable to travel.
Oh!! I sure do wish I had known that golden tidbit while in England!!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Quite right.

But this is about people residing rather than visiting isn't it?

Or has the thread topic suddenly changed?
On EEA permit, you have to have insurance. For UKC in other EEA countries, you only need EHIC (if you qualify). For Americans, we have to have comprehensive sickness cover.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alliekat
On EEA permit, you have to have insurance. For UKC in other EEA countries, you only need EHIC (if you qualify). For Americans, we have to have comprehensive sickness cover.
Technically an EEA permit needs insurance. In reality you will have compulsory insurance in your EU country of residence, this will provide an EHIC which gives you free cover under the NHS. If you are relocating on an EEA family permit then you would pass the residency test from day 1 and be covered on the NHS.

Also worth noting - a UKC doesn't get an EHIC, any one who is resident and applicable for NHS cover gets one (which means expats don't but ex-expats do)
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
If you are relocating on an EEA family permit then you would pass the residency test from day 1 and be covered on the NHS.
Only if you are employed in the UK. If you are self sufficient (including an EEA who doesn't work while their non EU does) or a student, then you are not allowed free NHS. That's where EEAs are coming unstuck when they then try to claim PR after 5 years in the UK, as they haven't been exercising their EEA rights and therefore, no PR. They are classed as having been a burden to the EEA country they chose to live in.

I know that in Austria, EEA workers are given a medical card every week they work. If they haven't worked the week they need medical care, then the Austrian government will not give them the medical card that week to get free healthcare.

Last edited by formula; Dec 20th 2012 at 1:23 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Only if you are employed in the UK. If you are self sufficient (including an EEA who doesn't work while their non EU does) or a student, then you are not allowed free NHS. That's where EEAs are coming unstuck when they then try to claim PR after 5 years in the UK, as they haven't been exercising their EEA rights and therefore, no PR. They are classed as having been a burden to the EEA country they chose to live in.

I know that in Austria, EEA workers are given a medical card every week they work. If they haven't worked the week they need medical care, then the Austrian government will not give them the medical card that week to get free healthcare.
So, let me get this straight. I am, for all intents and purposes self employed. I work for a company in Germany teaching English online as an independent contractor.

My impression of the exercising of treaty rights is this:

1. Move to EEA country with spouse, who either works for another or registers as self employed. He pays taxes accordingly, and must have health insurance coverage (possibly EHIC - as he is UKC).

2. I either accompany or meet my spouse in EEA country. I enter with comprehensive sickness insurance (a private travel/ex-pat insurance policy) and register as a spouse of an EU citizen exercising his treaty rights, and will be given an EEA spousal residency card in whatever country we move to. (Provided we meet the employment for spouse and health insurance for both of us requirement.)

3. We both pay appropriate taxes in our host country. (Does he then ALSO have to pay taxes in the UK??)

4. At the close of our (his) working stint, we apply to the British Embassy or Consulate (either??) closest to us for a 6-month entrance visa into the UK. Again, I have to have a travel/ex-pat comprehensive insurance policy to be granted this six-month visa.

5. Upon arrival to the UK, I immediately apply for UK residency based on the EEA resident permit (from other country) that I now have. I would, in theory, HAVE to be granted this residency permit - which would allow me to work (even in continuing self employment as I do now). This residency permit would then allow me to reside/work in UK?

6. During the 5 years of "residency" I must pay taxes (of course) and contribute to NHS (NIC contribution) so that when I apply for settlement after 5 years, I will not be considered a burden on UK society, and viola (if everything goes well) I am able to settle in the UK, and THEN access NHS??

Did I get this right? Did I miss anything??
Old Dec 26th 2012, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Alliekat
UK NHS is non-contributory. Entitlement depends purely on residence. NHS is NOT financed from National Insurance Contributions. NICs deteremine eligibility to Benefits such as State Retirement Pension.A common misunderstanding.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 26th 2012 at 11:37 am. Reason: more info and typos
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Alliekat
UK NHS is non-contributory. Entitlement depends purely on residence. NHS is NOT financed from National Insurance Contributions. NICs deteremine eligibility to Benefits such as State Retirement Pension.A common misunderstanding.
Thank you for the clarification. Hope you had a good holiday!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:34 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Alliekat
So are these two statements contradictory or not? Does Alliekat or any other non-EEA spouse coming in under Singh need to be employed in order to access free UK NHS or not?

I've been researching this--on this archived NH site, for one-- and find it VERY difficult to get a clear answer.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...able/DH_074377

Last edited by WEBlue; Dec 26th 2012 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Further thought.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Employment is not a reequirement for NHS treatment. Residence is.

The other aspect to look at for medical treatment if coming fromn an EU country is "Do you have an EHIC ?"

I posted a couple of links to NHS EHIC pages for someone asking about going to Austria. Here it is :-

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...e/index_en.htm

You should also investigate getting an EHIC, for use when travelling.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...-the-ehic.aspx

This is FREE from the NHS site. Avoid other sites that charge you !

Last edited by scot47; Dec 26th 2012 at 6:01 pm. Reason: adding gen
Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The bit about EHIC is aimed at those having UK EHIC entitlement. If you have lived and worked in another EU country you may have EHIC entitlement there. For example if you have lived and worked in France you might be entitled to EHIC from there, which you could then use in the UK if you came here for a visit. You can check locally on entitlement and procedures.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.heraldscotland.com/commen...olicy.19768633

Deffo UNFAIR !.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I realise there has to be a national policy, but agree that policies tailored to the south-east of England's problems doesn't work well in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Newcastle or Birmingham.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Such sensible words from the journalist who wrote the article (but who is uncredited):
The new rules on spouses were designed to deter marriages of convenience which are in no-one's interest; unfortunately for couples such as the Whiteleys and the Wilburs, they have been caught by a policy which makes no allowance for young people starting out on their careers.
This is what makes me so angry about this law. It unfairly targets the young couples (and many older ones too).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.