Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British born with long expired passport - Holding dual South African citizenship

British born with long expired passport - Holding dual South African citizenship

Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

mellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to behold
Question British born with long expired passport - Holding dual South African citizenship

Having sat waffling about with the idea of moving to the UK for almost a decade, at the age of 53 it is now or never.

I was born in Luton in 1962 and my family emigrated to South Africa in 1963. I currently hold South African and UK citizenship.

My British passport is long expired, so have to apply for a new one. Will this create any problems as far as my British citizenship is concerned? I always thought that I just need to renew my passport, hop on a plane and start looking for job. With all the changes to the laws, is this still the case?

When/if I arrive in UK, would there be any additional work permits that I would need to apply for, or would I automatically be eligible to apply for jobs? Would there be any additional restrictions regarding Wales, Scotland or Ireland?

I understand that I would not be eligible for any benefits for a period of time, which is not a problem at all, but what if I break a leg or something?

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to all comments.

Regards
Mandy
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British born with long expired passport - Holding dual South African citizenship

Originally Posted by mellowred
Having sat waffling about with the idea of moving to the UK for almost a decade, at the age of 53 it is now or never.

I was born in Luton in 1962 and my family emigrated to South Africa in 1963. I currently hold South African and UK citizenship.

My British passport is long expired, so have to apply for a new one. Will this create any problems as far as my British citizenship is concerned? I always thought that I just need to renew my passport, hop on a plane and start looking for job. With all the changes to the laws, is this still the case?

When/if I arrive in UK, would there be any additional work permits that I would need to apply for, or would I automatically be eligible to apply for jobs? Would there be any additional restrictions regarding Wales, Scotland or Ireland?

I understand that I would not be eligible for any benefits for a period of time, which is not a problem at all, but what if I break a leg or something?

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to all comments.

Regards
Mandy

Quite correct, you are a British citizen and have the right to live and work in the UK. Once you are move to the UK permanently, then you will be entitled to use the NHS from day 1 as it is a residence based benefit.
No need to apply for any work permits for any part of the UK, aa UK resident has the right to work in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and you would also be entitled to live and work in any part of the EU subject to fulfilling their residence requirements.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

mellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British born with long expired passport - Holding dual South African citizenship

Thank you for the response Mikelincs, that is very reassuring.

Now to get busy with the 100s of other questions.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 1:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks BritInParis, all done now.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this applies to you but make sure when you do leave you retain SA citizenship.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

I hadn't thought of that FeelBritish. Something to bear in mind if I purchase a one way ticket. SA may assume that I am doing a runner and prevent me from returning.

I just remembered that when we visited England mum and I were blocked on re-entering SA as we did not have permanent residence stamps in our passports. We found that pretty amusing as we had been in SA for about 17 years
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Not sure if this applies to you but make sure when you do leave you retain SA citizenship.
I hadn't thought of that FeelBritish. Something to bear in mind if I purchase a one way ticket. SA may assume that I am doing a runner and prevent me from returning.

I just remembered that when we visited England mum and I were blocked on re-entering SA as we did not have permanent residence stamps in our passports. We found that pretty amusing as we had been in SA for about 17 years
This problem arises when a South African citizen by birth acquires another citizenship voluntarily and does not seek permission from the South African authorities. This would then lead to a loss of South African citizenship.

Since mellowred is British by birth and a naturalised South African citizen this shouldn't an issue.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for clearing that up BritInParis.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

My British passport is long expired, so have to apply for a new one. Will this create any problems as far as my British citizenship is concerned?
Expired passports have no bearing on citizenship for those born in the UK.

I always thought that I just need to renew my passport, hop on a plane and start looking for job. With all the changes to the laws, is this still the case?
You are a British citizen, there are no restrictions on you entering the country.

When/if I arrive in UK, would there be any additional work permits that I would need to apply for, or would I automatically be eligible to apply for jobs?
Citizens do not need work permits. You would need a National Insurance number.

Would there be any additional restrictions regarding Wales, Scotland or Ireland?
Since they are part of the United Kingdom (assuming you meant Northern Ireland) why would there be?
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are restrictions on working in the Channel islands and the Isle of Man.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Colchar. Is the NI number something I can only apply for when I am in the UK?

Hi again Scot47 and thanks for the reply.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:33 pm

Thank you Colchar. Is the NI number something I can only apply for when I am in the UK?

Hi again Scot47 and thanks for the reply.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Security has been tightened up on issuing National Insurance Numbers. They want to see you in person with proof of identity and address etc.

You may have had a NINO when in Britain before emigrating.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Scot47. Took a look at BritInParis' link; so have put that on list of things to do when I arrive.

I was a baby when we emigrated, so in the eyes of the taxman I was just a NADA .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.