Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Brit/Non-Eu Spouse Moved back, now what regarding "benefits"

Brit/Non-Eu Spouse Moved back, now what regarding "benefits"

Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Question Brit/Non-Eu Spouse Moved back, now what regarding "benefits"

Dear All,

Finally, after myself moving back to the UK last year, my Wife (Chinese) got her visa and moved over with our British son (5 years old) a couple of weeks ago (with much help from all of you here to sort out the visa!).

We applied using the savings method and I was made aware that we might be eligible to Child Tax Credit, or similar.

I've used one of the calculators which says we can claim for:-
- Child Tax Credit
- Child Benefit

Given the fact that the visa states "no recourse to public funds" we want to avoid screwing things up.

How can we clarify what we can or cannot claim due to my Wife's current visa status on her 5 year route?

I've never claimed a thing in my life, so I'm rather naive to this I'm afraid.

Appreciate all your comments and guidance as usual!

Regards, MP
Old Nov 20th 2017, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit/Non-Eu Spouse Moved back, now what regarding "benefits"

You, the Brit, claims the benefit and you declare on the application that your wife is under immigration regulations.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You, the Brit, claims the benefit and you declare on the application that your wife is under immigration regulations.
Thank you SanDiegogirl, I thought you might come to the rescue. :-)

So, this doesn't affect visa status at all then in the future?
I did call the Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit helplines today, and they were generally unclear, except to say that the application would be checked by the international team.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No it will not affect your wife's visa status, as long as it is YOU claiming.