Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Brazilian Girlfriend - Long stay in UK without return flight & Future Options

Brazilian Girlfriend - Long stay in UK without return flight & Future Options

Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

CumbrianCarioca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brazilian Girlfriend - Long stay in UK without return flight & Future Options

Hello Everyone,

I hope I have the correct forum. Firstly, some background information:

- I have been living in Rio de Janeiro for almost 2 years.
- I started a relationship with my girlfriend in November 2015.
- We have been living together since January 2016. Moved into our own apartment April 2016.
- I work in multi-sport events. I was working for Rio 2016. I will likely work abroad again on another event but I am still searching for a job.
- Our lease is up on the apartment and we are thinking of returning to visit the UK whilst we continue my job search.

Entering the UK without a return flight to Rio

Our current plan is to leave Rio (via New York, where my brother lives) and then onward to fly into Manchester, UK. We have booked this as a multi-city flight, without a return to Rio as we do not know if, or when, we will return here. I am applying for jobs around the world and do not know where we will be in 3 to 6 months' time. In the meantime, we would like to stay at my parents' house for the majority of the time whilst visiting other friends and family across the UK.

- Would my girlfriend be able to enter the UK without a return flight?
- Would an onward flight to France suffice (we have a wedding there in June)?
- As I understand it she can stay for up to six months as a tourist. Is this correct? If yes, after the six months is there a period that she cannot return? Or if we leave the country can she re-enter for six months? I.e. after the France trip.
- If I get a job abroad sorted (but flights not booked yet) would my contract offer help?

Future Options

I have begun researching the Visa for Unmarried Partners. As I understand we need to prove that we have been together for two years, which we will have by November, and I will look into should I get a get a job in the UK.

- Is it worthwhile getting the Stable Union (União estável) while we are still here? Does the UK acknowledge this document?
- Are tenancy documents accepted? She only recently moved bank address to our current address but has a couple statements too (but with a more recent date).
- Are there any other documents or actions we can take to aid this process?

I know that marriage could make life easier but we would prefer to do that further down the line. It took my brothers 15 and 17 years to marry their partners so I guess it runs in the family to take our time!

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Any information, links, advice or experiences will be appreciated.

Best wishes,
A
Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brazilian Girlfriend - Long stay in UK without return flight & Future Options

Originally Posted by CumbrianCarioca
Entering the UK without a return flight to Rio

Our current plan is to leave Rio (via New York, where my brother lives) and then onward to fly into Manchester, UK. We have booked this as a multi-city flight, without a return to Rio as we do not know if, or when, we will return here. I am applying for jobs around the world and do not know where we will be in 3 to 6 months' time. In the meantime, we would like to stay at my parents' house for the majority of the time whilst visiting other friends and family across the UK.

- Would my girlfriend be able to enter the UK without a return flight?
Yes, but depending on the Immigration Officer on the day. Book a return back to Brazil for her dated up to 6 months from the date you arrive, but a ticket that be amended to return on a different date (or buy a new ticket).

- Would an onward flight to France suffice (we have a wedding there in June)?
That would depend on her intentions post-France, I'd suggest. If the intention is to return to the UK, the previously mentioned ticket back to Brazil would be very useful evidence.

- As I understand it she can stay for up to six months as a tourist. Is this correct? If yes, after the six months is there a period that she cannot return? Or if we leave the country can she re-enter for six months? I.e. after the France trip.
Your girlfriend can stay in the UK for a total of 6 months out of any consecutive 12 months. If she spends 4 months in the UK then leaves for 3 months and returns, the second visit could only be for 2 months before she would have to leave again for another 3 months. If she overstays longer than 28 days, she is likely to receive a 10yr ban on entering the UK.

- If I get a job abroad sorted (but flights not booked yet) would my contract offer help?
Would your contract offer help what?

Whether you were working in the UK, anywhere else in the world, or not at all, your girlfriend would need to leave the UK by the end of the 6 months, with or without you.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brazilian Girlfriend - Long stay in UK without return flight & Future Options

In order to apply for an Unmarried Partner visa one must have lived together continuously for two years akin to marriage. Documents showing joint accommodation, utility, services, insurance bills etc are required.

You say that you have lived together since April 2016, so not a year yet.

Your stay of 6 months in the UK will not count as she will be in the UK as a visitor. Living together while one is on a visitor visa is not eligible.

The visa has to be applied for from her home country, Brazil, and you need to fulfill financial requirements. Read the following document to see how you would qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:07 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm if you are flying out via New York - she has a valid visa for the USA already right?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

With no onward or return ticket and no ties to Brazil I would suggest it's highly unlikely she would be given Leave to Enter at the UK border.