Aussie Nurse

Old Jul 4th 2001, 3:56 am
virginia n scott

Hi I am in the process of contracting with an agency for me and my family to move to
Florida for 18 months and work. I am an RN. They say they will organise the green
cards for us but it will take about 12 months. I have a mother who is a United
States Citizen, Does anyone know if she can help get us green cards so then I don't
have to be under a contract to anyone? I have to sign in a week so am getting
nervous thanks Virginia

Old Jul 6th 2001, 12:05 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

virginia n scott wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Your U.S. citizen mother can file Form I-130 asking that you be classified in
category Family 3, married son or daughter of a U.S. citizen. This has a waiting time
for the quota of about 5 and one half years. The mere filing of Form I-130 gives you
no status at all. In fact, in the meantime it will hinder your attempts to visas
which requires temporary intention, like visitor's visas.

The 12-month estimate sounds about right; it may take a little longer. You also have
to get a state license somehow, pass the NCLEX, and get the Visascreen.

You will have to work for the employer that sponsored for your green card for some
time after you get your green card. Some say that 6 months is enought, and some say
that you should work for one year as a safe harbor. After that you may change
employers at will. I wonder what the "18 months" means; does it mean that you commit
to working for the same employer for 18 months, or pay damages? If so, 18 months
sounds a bit high. You might shop around.

See http://shusterman.com/toc-rn.html and read extensively, then ask more questions
if you have them.