arranging a doctor for my US children

Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arranging a doctor for my US children

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I think I said something like that back in about Post #5 ... but I think we should stretch this thread out a little longer before we all give up.
Or perhaps we should just answer with "post number x" as the same things keep getting asked in this thread

Again the surgery staff are not immigration experts and are not required to be. Why should they be expected to know that a Brit born abroad may or may not have British citizenship?

It's much easier (and cheaper for the UK taxpayer as it saves on extra training and extra staff) to say;
  • if you want it something for nothing, then bring the proof;
OR
  • you pay.
  • Get aggressive, then we are going to throw you out.

It really is that simple.

Perhaps someone could draw up a flowchart? It would only be a little flowchart Then they could see why it was a good idea to get a UK passport for their child before they travel back to the UK, if they want free NHS as soon as they arrive. Passports are used as ID and easy proof of UK citizenship, plus they won't then enter as a visitor.

Last edited by formula; Sep 21st 2012 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Incidently, are you aware that they can refuse to register you with the surgery or treat you, if you are rude to NHS staff and that includes the receptionists and practice manager? Then you would have to see if anyone else would be willing to take you; but they don't have to take you either if another practice has refused to treat you because of your behaviour. Having a visa that allows free NHS or a being a UK citizen and a resident, doesn't mean you will get free NHS if you are rude or aggressive to NHS staff. They get to decide if you are rude or aggressive and can then throw you out.
Where does the need for this rant come from? No one mentioned anything about getting rude or aggressive with NHS staff.

How can an application for anything, be proof of residency???
For the example Holly gave, applying for child benefit, I imagine that only parents physically residing in the UK would qualify for this benefit (as why would HMRC give a child benefit to a parent with kids living outside the UK). So an approved application for child benefit would seem (to me) to be valid proof of residency for the kids.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 21st 2012 at 5:55 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucylove
I can't apply for benefits as I will be probably sponsoring my US husband to enter the UK. I would imagine a school acceptance would be a good alternative.
Uhmmm, I'm not so sure about that. You, as the UK citizen, have the right to apply for certain benefits. I believe child benefit is one of them (as essentially its a tax break for you having kids, IIRC). To double check this, you can ask this question over on the www.talk.uk-yankee.com forum, as they get these types of questions all the time.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I'm not the UK citizenship expert by any means, so what I suggest may not be correct. Could you not just show your UK passport and birth certificate, as well as the children's US birth certs, as proof of their citizenship? Wouldn't the proof of your citizenship, along with the proof they are your children prove they are citizens? And then registration at the school would suffice as proof of residence.

The mother could have been born in the US and be British by descent thereby being eligible for a British passport. [B]HER children however, if born in the US , are not automatically British citizens because being British by descent means that you cannot automatically pass your British citizenship onto your children.

This particular OP we presume was born in the UK, is British other than by descent, so her children are British citizens by descent - however they don't have the passports to prove the point.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: arranging a doctor for my US children

For the example Holly gave, applying for child benefit, I imagine that only parents physically residing in the UK would qualify for this benefit (as why would HMRC give a child benefit to a parent with kids living outside the UK).
Unbelievably - they do if they are from the EU.

It really, really annoys me! I wouldn't be surprised if they carry on claiming child benefits even if the parent(s) have returned to their home country:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/majo...ng-abroad.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ft-behind.html

I'm not sure why the O/P isn't claiming CHB (Child Benefit) as it's a Universal Benefit and as she is a British Citizen ie. not subject to immigration control, then she does appear to be able to qualify for it....I would be very surprised indeed if it has any effect whatsoever on sponsoring her spouse to reside in the UK:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fies/DG_073771
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Those things don't apply to children! We already mentioned that you have to provide proof that your child is at school or nursery. Refer to posts #16 and #27 and also mentioned on the link "evidence that your children are attending school in the UK."

If you sell stuff abroad like furniture or a car then you'll need to get a receipt for it. It really is that straight forward and not as complicated as you are making out holly_1948! There's a list of proof to choose from. Most people returning will have something on the list. Just one piece of paperwork and ID to prove you are intending to live in the UK. Crystal clear really and the same applies for any surgery so it is a uniform procedure.
I agree with most of what you say Pom_Chch.

As a side note, children in England must be in full-time education.....which is different to "must be at school or nursery".
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Where does the need for this rant come from? No one mentioned anything about getting rude or aggressive with NHS staff.
Did you read the quote of Holly's that I replied to?

I imagine that only parents physically residing in the UK would qualify for this benefit (as why would HMRC give a child benefit to a parent with kids living outside the UK).
Then you imagine wrong.

So an approved application for child benefit would seem (to me) to be valid proof of residency for the kids.
Again, did you read the quote of Holly's that I was replying to? She said "application". An application proves nothing; other than that someone has applied for something.

Plus it is not uncommon for HMRC to give child benefit to people that are not allowed it. Look on the immigationboards benefits section for people trying to repay their CB (public funds) to avoid being denied ILR.

If both parents are legally on the UK and have residency, then the children will have it too but.....they entered as visitors on US passports (I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day) and US visitors do not get free NHS. After all this, I have a lot more respect for teachers.

Last edited by formula; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:05 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The mother could have been born in the US and be British by descent thereby being eligible for a British passport. [B]HER children however, if born in the US , are not automatically British citizens because being British by descent means that you cannot automatically pass your British citizenship onto your children.

This particular OP we presume was born in the UK, is British other than by descent, so her children are British citizens by descent - however they don't have the passports to prove the point.
Right. It's a valid point. Such kids (not those in the OP's case) may become eligible for one depending on their age and length of residency in the UK.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:00 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucylove
I can't apply for benefits as I will be probably sponsoring my US husband to enter the UK. I would imagine a school acceptance would be a good alternative.
So your husband isn't living in the UK with you now? I assume you will need to prove that he has agreed that his children are allowed to live in the UK as residents and they aren't just here to visit and use the NHS while they are here?

I can see why the surgery are asking for all this. You have entered as a Brit and stated you intend to stay in the UK, but you brought the children in as US citizens visitors, while their father still resides in the US.

BTW, you can claim benefits, but you can't use them as part of your £18,600 or less than that and the required savings. You might have the same problem claiming for the children though and they might want proof that their father is not going to demand the UK send his children back as he never gave his permission for them to live in the UK. You might want to ask about that required proof on immigrationboards.com or UK-yankee.com

Last edited by formula; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:29 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:22 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how benefits work but I thought that if you have enough savings then you are not entitled to them. So if the OP is sponsoring her husband she will have a certain amount saved up as this is a requirement for sponsoring.

Could be wrong, not sure how the benefits work...
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I'm not sure how benefits work but I thought that if you have enough savings then you are not entitled to them. So if the OP is sponsoring her husband she will have a certain amount saved up as this is a requirement for sponsoring.

Could be wrong, not sure how the benefits work...
Child Benefit was mentioned I believe - there is no means test for Child Benefit. If you have a child under 16, you are entitled. (Obviously there is small print but that is the gist.)
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We obviously disagree on the whole passport, and proving of citizenship, formula. I'm not getting further dragged into a conversation about it.

As far as what I read in Holly's post (the one you quoted), I saw nothing that said the OP should be aggressive or rude toward the surgery staff, hence why I commented to you. She only called the surgery staff incompetent; she didn't tell the OP to barge into the office and get rude and belligerent.

Thanks for the correction regarding child benefit. I thought only people in Britain could obtain it.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Child Benefit was mentioned I believe - there is no means test for Child Benefit. If you have a child under 16, you are entitled. (Obviously there is small print but that is the gist.)
That changes on 7 January 2013
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2012/cb-income-tax.htm

Then when Universal Credit comes in in October 2013, child benefit gets included in the welfare cap.

I think Child Benefit will be phased out in the not too distanct future and be replaced by Universal Credit and all the conditions that imposes on welfare claimants. There is still another 10 billion pounds to be cut from the welfare bill, according to leaks!

Plus you can claim for child benefit up to age 20, if the "child" is still in fulltime education (not advanced).

Last edited by formula; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:53 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

She only called the surgery staff incompetent; she didn't tell the OP to barge into the office and get rude and belligerent.
You only have to raise your voice or call them names, to be called aggressive and banned. I know one 70 year old woman who couldn't get a GP; she didn't shout but she always had a rude manner about her with her condescending tone. You could only take her somewhere twice; once to go and once to apologise. Polite and calm is the order of the day with the NHS.

Thanks for the correction regarding child benefit. I thought only people in Britain could obtain it.
That's why I think it will be phased out: to stop that. Univeral Credit means they have to live in the UK and will have to comply with conditions to receive any benefits. UC is also designed to help stop welfare fraud.

Last edited by formula; Sep 21st 2012 at 8:05 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Did you read the quote of Holly's that I replied to?
Again, did you read the quote of Holly's that I was replying to? She said "application". An application proves nothing; other than that someone has applied for something. ...
Applied for benefits is sufficient. It is not necessary that the application outcome has been made according to the NHS own guidelines.
Please see http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1087.asp...CategoryID=162
Proving your entitlement
Hospitals are responsible for checking who should pay for NHS hospital treatment.
The hospital will ask you for evidence to prove that you intend to live in the UK permanently. The documents that you provide will depend on your circumstances. Examples could include:
documents showing the sale of goods or property overseas
receipts showing shipping of goods to the UK
evidence that you’re looking for work
evidence that you have bought property in the UK or have rented a property
papers that show you’ve applied for benefits
evidence that your children are attending school in the UK
The above is the hard fact, the NHS accepts benefit application papers as evidence of residency according to their own published policy guidance.

Now my unsupported opinion - this is because, when you apply for child benefits, you are swearing, on oath, that the child is UK resident. Such a formal oath, punishable under penalty of perjury is sufficient for the NHS according to their own guidelines. If the mother swears on oath that the children are resident then the NHS accepts that until there is a contrary proof - such as the application being denied for insufficiency of residency.

Before making statement like "An application proves nothing; other than that someone has applied for something" it would be well to check the facts and cite a reference where possible. Your comment came across as quite hostile and needlessly confrontational.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.