Applying for spousal visa

Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:50 am
Just Joined

MrsKiers13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for spousal visa

Hello!

I am a British citizen living in Canada for almost 10 years. I have Dual Citizenship.

My husband who is a Canadian and I, are wanting to move to the UK. I know It’s a lot of work but has anyone used the spousal visa route and how difficult is it..? It seems simple but I’m concerned as I haven’t been living in the UK for the last 10 years, so if we apply for him It stayed that I (the British Citizen) has to be settled.. does this mean I have to be in the UK before he comes to the UK.. it’s all very confusing and I would love any advice from anyone who’s been/going through this. Thank you
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Applying for spousal visa

Originally Posted by MrsKiers13
Hello!

I am a British citizen living in Canada for almost 10 years. I have Dual Citizenship.

My husband who is a Canadian and I, are wanting to move to the UK. I know It’s a lot of work but has anyone used the spousal visa route and how difficult is it..? It seems simple but I’m concerned as I haven’t been living in the UK for the last 10 years, so if we apply for him It stayed that I (the British Citizen) has to be settled.. does this mean I have to be in the UK before he comes to the UK.. it’s all very confusing and I would love any advice from anyone who’s been/going through this. Thank you
Hi there & welcome to BE.

As this is a specific question about a visa I shall move this for you to our UK forum.

The Welcome Inn is really just for introductions and not so many people pass by here.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a British citizen you will be "settled" the moment you land in the UK intending to live there again, so if your husband qualifies for a visa ahead of you arriving (meaning that you qualify by having cash savings of at least £62,500, or you have been working earning at least £18,600 (equiv) per annum for the past six months AND you have an offer of a job earning at least £18,600 per annum to take up, starting within three months), then you can travel to the UK together.

The main thing to work out first is whether you have the assets to qualify on the savings basis, or whether you need a job so you can qualify on the income basis.

The assets/ savings basis basically means £62,500 cash in the bank, for six months. The six months is waived if the money came from sale of property that you owned for six months, and the cash can be in foreign currency, and the exchange rate is an official rate that is provided.

If you don't have the savings, and haven't been working, or haven't been earning enough, then you may have to go back to the UK first and find a job earning at least £18,600, then after six months you can sponsor your husband for a visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 26th 2017 at 3:18 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify under the financial requirements. This will affect when you apply for the visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

Also, does your Canadian husband have British ancestry which might make him eligible for an Ancestry visa; or have European ties which might mean he could apply for European passport?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

RE the 'settled' part, you can return with your husband as you will be considered 'settled' as soon as you are on UK soil.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As a British citizen you will be "settled" the moment you land in the UK intending to live there again, so if your husband qualifies for a visa ahead of you arriving (meaning that you qualify by having cash savings of at least £62,500, or you have been working earning at least £18,600 (equiv) per annum for the past six months AND you have an offer of a job earning at least £18,600 per annum to take up, starting within three months), then you can travel to the UK together.

The main thing to work out first is whether you have the assets to qualify on the savings basis, or whether you need a job so you can qualify on the income basis.

The assets/ savings basis basically means £62,500 cash in the bank, for six months. The six months is waived if the money came from sale of property that you owned for six months, and the cash can be in foreign currency, and the exchange rate is an official rate that is provided.

If you don't have the savings, and haven't been working, or haven't been earning enough, then you may have to go back to the UK first and find a job earning at least £18,600, then after six months you can sponsor your husband for a visa.
Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify under the financial requirements. This will affect when you apply for the visa

Also, does your Canadian husband have British ancestry which might make him eligible for an Ancestry visa; or have European ties which might mean he could apply for European passport?
Hello, no ancestry ties unfortunately

So I would apply fir the spousal visa, do you know?

Thanks so much for you’re quick reply.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
RE the 'settled' part, you can return with your husband as you will be considered 'settled' as soon as you are on UK soil.
Thanks so much
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, no ancestry ties unfortunately

So I would apply fir the spousal visa, do you know?

Thanks so much for you’re quick reply.
Yes, you apply for a settlement visa for your husband.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa