Applying for Dual AU/UK Citizenship HELP

Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Piratefishy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Dual AU/UK Citizenship HELP

Hi, I know i'm new, but I've been doing a lot of reading up on this and called the British High Comission in NZ and they weren't very helpful with clarification. I want to live and work in Europe after university, so getting citizenship/a passport would make life a hell of a lot easier for me.

So, stats:

Born in Australia, never been to the UK.
Mother was born in the UK with British parents and still has British Citizenship.
Father born in Australia and only has Australian Citizenship.

I really want to know if I am eligible for British Citizenship (or already have it through Descent) and how I register/apply and also obtain a passport.

Because I'm not sure if i'm even eligible for citizenship, I'm not willing to go through the passport application without being sure, and there aren't any Registration forms applicable to me.

The woman on the phone at the British High Comission just said that age wasn't considered but I have the feeling she thought I was born in the UK (for some reason, even though I told her otherwise - but the call was like $3 a minute so I wasn't going to prolong the confusion)

I've read a bit in the US forums also (doubt it's worth too much but there it is).

Any help?

I apologise if I'm being the typical 'newbie', but I'm just really confused.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

TroyLuca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Dual AU/UK Citizenship HELP

Hi Fishy,

From what you have said it would appear that you have already acquired British citizenship by virtue of your Mum being British. (Congratulations).

The wikipedia page on British Citizenship is full of all the relevant information.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:39 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piratefishy
Hi, I know i'm new, but I've been doing a lot of reading up on this and called the British High Comission in NZ and they weren't very helpful with clarification. I want to live and work in Europe after university, so getting citizenship/a passport would make life a hell of a lot easier for me.

So, stats:

Mother was born in the UK with British parents and still has British Citizenship.

I really want to know if I am eligible for British Citizenship (or already have it through Descent) and how I register/apply and also obtain a passport.

Because I'm not sure if i'm even eligible for citizenship, I'm not willing to go through the passport application without being sure, and there aren't any Registration forms applicable to me.

The woman on the phone at the British High Comission just said that age wasn't considered but I have the feeling she thought I was born in the UK (for some reason, even though I told her otherwise - but the call was like $3 a minute so I wasn't going to prolong the confusion)

I've read a bit in the US forums also (doubt it's worth too much but there it is).

Any help?

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

No apologies needed for being a newbie, we all were once.

I think the first reply you got may be correct but if you wait a while, I know others will be along at some stage.

Alistair.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:40 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TroyLuca
Hi Fishy,

From what you have said it would appear that you have already acquired British citizenship by virtue of your Mum being British. (Congratulations).

The wikipedia page on British Citizenship is full of all the relevant information.
Hi there, and welcome to you too! All the above applies to you too. Enjoy B.E.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fishy,

Great! So all I need to do is apply for a passport then?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

TroyLuca is an unknown quantity at this point

Great! So all I need to do is apply for a passport then?
Yea - I just had a quick look at the C1 form online - its got the section for you to put your parents details in - it seems quite clear.

I have no authority or experience with the matter though...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So, stats:

Any help?

I know there are all sorts of ins and outs to getting British citizenship, and its not a field i know at all. I will move the post to the UK forum though as someone there may have info for you - you'll then get exposure in both forums
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fishy,

From what you have said it would appear that you have already acquired British citizenship by virtue of your Mum being British.
Not simply because of that.

Because his mother is British born and he was born in 1983 or later.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 1:24 am
Just Joined

ok so basically all I need to do is use the C1 passport application form and that'll be it?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

ok so basically all I need to do is use the C1 passport application form and that'll be it?
Yes, it appears.

But for your own benefit, keep good copies of the relevant documents (mothers birth certificate etc.) in case you ever need to prove your British status again. DON'T throw away your expired passports.

Also be aware that you're British "by descent" and you say you are planning on living in the EEA. If you have children born in an EEA country they won't be British unless you develop more ties to the UK in the meantime (or they get it from the other parent), and unless they're born in the Republic of Ireland, they won't automatically get local citizenship either.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:32 am
Just Joined

thanks a bunch!

I appreciate your help. It's really cleared some things up for me.