Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:01 am
Just Joined

januaryprincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice about how to go about the UK Spouse Visa.

Just some background about me and by British spouse. I am a Filipina, and my spouse is a British citizen. We are currently living in the Philippines but we want to move to the UK. We don't have any kids, we've both never been married/ divorced with anyone else. He just wants to bring me to the UK. I have a degree from a good university from the Philippines (taught in English) and can speak English quite well. I currently work as an English Instructor in the Philippines.

I know that the requirements are:
1. You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over. - YES
2. You must have met each other and be legally married - this is to prevent arranged marriages. - YES
3. You must intend to live together permanently. - YES
4. You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds. - YES
5. Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. - YES
6. You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants. - UHMMM...
7. You must satisfy the English language requirements. - YES

We have a problem with No. 6. We're currently living in the Philippines and cannot show any rent lease agreement and he doesn't own any property in England. However, we have enough savings and income to house ourselves once we're in the UK. Also, his company also gives him housing allowance (as stated in his company contract).

PS. He has some relatives and friends in the UK who are more than happy to house us while we look for an apartment/flat of our own, and some are willing to let us stay in their guest house for a year or two till we are settled.

Does anyone have any idea regarding what documents we need to show and/or attach with our application to show that we are going to have suitable accommodation once we are in the UK.

If anyone knows or can help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

So far as accommmodation is concerned I think a confirmed hotel or AirBnB booking is OK,but your friends would have to send you a letter confirming they are willing to house you and will need confirmation that their property is suitable for the extra two of you.Hopefully, Brit in Paris will be along with more precise information - he's our resident guru on these matters.
Can you clarify that your husband has a job in the UK paying £18,600 a year or you have £62,500 in immediately available savings, held for at least6 months? The rules say your husband must either : been in employment in UK for minimum of 6 months earning the £18,600 OR been in employment overseas earning the same equivalent AND must have a job contract starting within 3 months of arrival in UK also paying £18,600 OR a combination of salary and savings.
Full details are here ; Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf
Be aware that as a Filipina, your application will take some time due to the necessity of checking the authenticity of your supporting documents - the Philippines is on the "suspect" list of countries with forged documentation etc.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

Originally Posted by quiltman
So far as accommmodation is concerned I think a confirmed hotel or AirBnB booking is OK,but your friends would have to send you a letter confirming they are willing to house you and will need confirmation that their property is suitable for the extra two of you.Hopefully, Brit in Paris will be along with more precise information - he's our resident guru on these matters.
Can you clarify that your husband has a job in the UK paying £18,600 a year or you have £62,500 in immediately available savings, held for at least6 months? The rules say your husband must either : been in employment in UK for minimum of 6 months earning the £18,600 OR been in employment overseas earning the same equivalent AND must have a job contract starting within 3 months of arrival in UK also paying £18,600 OR a combination of salary and savings.
Full details are here ; Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf
Be aware that as a Filipina, your application will take some time due to the necessity of checking the authenticity of your supporting documents - the Philippines is on the "suspect" list of countries with forged documentation etc.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Hi. He is employed by a multinational corporation, and earns over 18,600 GBP/year for the past 4 years AND we also have savings of more than 62,500GBP for the last 3-4 years (just parked in a bank account that we don't touch).

The same multinational corporation that he's working for now will be the one employing him in the UK so it's like he's just transferring branches, from the Asia branch to the European branch.

Also, both his uncle and friend in the UK have been nice enough to offer to let us stay in their houses first while we find a place for ourselves.

PS. His friend's guest house has a bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, living room etc. Like a small renovated barn that we could stay in for a while whilst we look for our place OR we could stay in for long-term (1-2 years) to save on rent.

We are also aware that our application will be scrutinized more than others because I am Filipino and he understands this more than anyone HAHAHA

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

So far as i'm aware, he'll have to submit a copy of his contract showing he is being transferred to UK and salary etc but that should not be a problem.But if you have the £62,500 savings and use this route then his work contract is immaterial!(See the link I gave).
so far as accomodation is concerned you will need confirmation that the property is suitable and probably a copy of the title deed to show your uncle or friend (who ever you decide on!) owns the property.I'm sure BIP will come along later with the definitive answers! I think that the Council have to certify the accomodation is suitable and will not break overcrowding rules - I know, stupid, but there have been cases of applicants moving into an already crowded house - won't mention which countries in particular, but it means a bit more confirmation for everyone else!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Application for UK Spouse Visa by a Filipino married to a British Citizen

Originally Posted by quiltman
So far as i'm aware, he'll have to submit a copy of his contract showing he is being transferred to UK and salary etc but that should not be a problem.But if you have the £62,500 savings and use this route then his work contract is immaterial!(See the link I gave).
so far as accomodation is concerned you will need confirmation that the property is suitable and probably a copy of the title deed to show your uncle or friend (who ever you decide on!) owns the property.I'm sure BIP will come along later with the definitive answers! I think that the Council have to certify the accomodation is suitable and will not break overcrowding rules - I know, stupid, but there have been cases of applicants moving into an already crowded house - won't mention which countries in particular, but it means a bit more confirmation for everyone else!
Thank you so much for all your help!