"ancestry visa" of "British by descent"?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Paul ZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "ancestry visa" of "British by descent"?

I'm kind of stuck and get different answers from different people. So here we go... my mother's history:

Her grandfather was born in England in 1872. Moved to what was then the Union of South Africa (a British Dominion at that time) working for the Imperial Rail Military. He had a daughter who was born in 1912 in Johannesburg (SA) 'aka' my mother's mother.

My question is could my mother be able to claim right of abode/citizenship or would she only be able to apply for an ancestry visa?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "ancestry visa" of "British by descent"?

Probably only an ancestry visa but there is not enough information to be definitive. When was your mother born and if she was born before 1949, did she become a South African citizen on 2 September 1949? Has she always lived in South Africa?

Any chance one of your mother's British grandparents was born in Ireland or Northern Ireland?