American wanting to move to UK

Old May 18th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of
Default Re: American wanting to move to UK

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Cindy, my main point has always been the one made above.

It is the same old story, different people dislike different stuff and we read it everyday on this site.

I just personally do not believe that gives anyone the right to judge a whole ton of stuff about someone else's country as inferior and if that phrase had never been used I certainly would not have jumped the way I did.

It's a well known fact I hated the bit of the States I got stuck with, not once have I refered to it as inferior on here ... let a-bloody-lone on UK-Yankees. I have described it as many different things, and said how I felt living there, but not once have I exclaimed it is somehow substandard. It's ****ing rude.

I am absolutely sure the guy had the best of intentions, unfortunately it got lost in the all too common superior tone I have found so many Americans to take.
Do me a favor Tootsie and find an exact quote where I distinctly said the words "inferior" or "substandard" when referring to any aspect of the country that made you make your first post in this thread.

You seem very stuck on that even though it never occured. You did indeed jump on a phrase that was never used.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:23 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pandajuice
Do me a favor Tootsie and find an exact quote where I distinctly said the words "inferior" or "substandard" when referring to any aspect of the country that made you make your first post in this thread.

You seem very stuck on that even though it never occured. You did indeed jump on a phrase that was never used.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=25

I can't wait until I get back to California and don't think I'll ever come back to the UK, at least not for any great length of time. To me, it is inferior in just too many important ways to the US and the standard of living we enjoy there.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I was thinking the same when reading this-Panda did not come across as being combative in his first post, he has again and again, said "these are my opinons" AND they were not all negative. So what is the big deal??

It's still the same old story.
Cindy/meauxna I know you feel offended by some comments made by Brits about the USA and to USC's...but please remember most Brits come here to let off steam and let our hair down a little. Like some have said most of us wouldn't dream of going onto an American Expats website and criticsing the US or it's people.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of

"I can't wait until I get back to California and don't think I'll ever come back to the UK, at least not for any great length of time. To me, it is inferior in just too many important ways to the US and the standard of living we enjoy there."

That's not stating fact and that's not "The UK is inferior" as you and Tootsie keep attesting that I said. That is in reality (though I'll remember in the future to not expect much from you guys in terms of reading between the lines) "To me, in my opinion, the way I feel, is that the UK is inferior, to me, in what I feel is important for me to enjoy living in a place".

Am I not allowed my own opinion and my own experiences and my own preferences? That's superiority and arrogance to be unhappy where someone else is happy? Seriously? Will you next tell me that since I find a certain film inferior to another that I'm a douchebag? Did I freak out on people in this thread who admitted they found aspects of the US inferior?
Think about it. Are you really so sad and insecure that people aren't allowed to voice their own opinions and experiences with something so fluid as their environment without hurting your delicate nationalist sensabilities?
Old May 18th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

ugh, multi quote hell.

Post #69 too.

"Everything is different in this country (I know you don't think that, I didn't either before) and many things are inferior (of course there are some improvements from the US, but not many)."

Its got nothing to do with sensibilities my friend ... it's rude. Take it as a cultural difference if you like, but it's still rude. And yes, just because you dont like something I do think it's arrogant of you to proclaim it's inferior.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; May 18th 2008 at 11:43 pm.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"I can't wait until I get back to California and don't think I'll ever come back to the UK, at least not for any great length of time. To me, it is inferior in just too many important ways to the US and the standard of living we enjoy there."

That's not stating fact and that's not "The UK is inferior" as you and Tootsie keep attesting that I said. That is in reality (though I'll remember in the future to not expect much from you guys in terms of reading between the lines) "To me, in my opinion, the way I feel, is that the UK is inferior, to me, in what I feel is important for me to enjoy living in a place".

Am I not allowed my own opinion and my own experiences and my own preferences? That's superiority and arrogance to be unhappy where someone else is happy? Seriously? Will you next tell me that since I find a certain film inferior to another that I'm a douchebag? Did I freak out on people in this thread who admitted they found aspects of the US inferior?
Think about it. Are you really so sad and insecure that people aren't allowed to voice their own opinions and experiences with something so fluid as their environment without hurting your delicate nationalist sensabilities?
Being as you feel that way about the UK I only hope for your sake and the sake of your family...your wife enjoys living in the US and doesn't long for home as many expats do.

If any of us thought that being an expat would be so traumatic I'm sure many people would stay put...but we didn't we looked forward to our new life with enthusiasm and optimism. It's just that sometimes it all goes pear shaped like your life in the UK.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Cindy/meauxna I know you feel offended by some comments made by Brits about the USA and to USC's...but please remember most Brits come here to let off steam and let our hair down a little. Like some have said most of us wouldn't dream of going onto an American Expats website and criticsing the US or it's people.
Yea I just strolled in here looking for a fight and to vent my criticisms about the UK. This isn't an online pub for you to blither on like idiots and let your hair down. This was a thread started by an American who wanted honest opinions about whether or not she was crazy to be considering moving to the UK. I gave her my honest opinions and my personal impressions of the section of the country where I live like she asked for. I'm sorry you lot are so insecure about your own country that it sent you into offended tailspins. How sad.

If someone from the UK went into the US forums asking for honest opinions from British expats, you'd be doing them a disservice by not voicing some negatives that the original poster should be aware of. It's not like walking down the street. It's abandoning your whole life to live in another country and starting over essentially. I'd be very interested in seeing both positive and negative reviews about a country I was considering moving to. Hell, I want to see both kinds of reviews when I see a movie for Christ sake. There's no point sugar coating it for someone, they take the plunge, then maybe run into the same problems I did. Why not be honest from the get go about MY OWN EXPERIENCE, and let them draw their own conclusions from it. What's the point of coming in here like cats who got their tails run over screeching and derailing the point of the thread simply because I told the story of my own experience here.

Last edited by Pandajuice; May 18th 2008 at 11:50 pm.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Being as you feel that way about the UK I only hope for your sake and the sake of your family...your wife enjoys living in the US and doesn't long for home as many expats do.

If any of us thought that being an expat would be so traumatic I'm sure many people would stay put...but we didn't we looked forward to our new life with enthusiasm and optimism. It's just that sometimes it all goes pear shaped like your life in the UK.
My wife dislikes it here as much as I do for the same reasons and she's British. She's able to look past herself and her nostalgia and see the problems. I hope she enjoys it in the US too, and I'm sure she will.
From what I've read on these boards, most people seem to miss their home countries because of family there, not necessarily because of the country itself. She doesn't have much family here besides her kids from another relationship, but she's content with them staying with their great father.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:52 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I just strolled in here looking for a fight and to vent my criticisms about the UK. This isn't an online pub for you to blither on like idiots and let your hair down. This was a thread started by an American who wanted honest opinions about whether or not she was crazy to be considering moving to the UK. I gave her my honest opinions and my personal impressions of the section of the country where I live like she asked for. I'm sorry you lot are so insecure about your own country that it sent you into offended tailspins. How sad.

If someone from the UK went into the US forums asking for honest opinions from British expats, you'd be doing them a disservice by not voicing some negatives that the original poster should be aware of. It's not like walking down the street. It's abandoning your whole life to live in another country and starting over essentially. I'd be very interested in seeing both positive and negative reviews about a country I was considering moving to. Hell, I want to see both kinds of reviews when I see a movie for Christ sake. There's no point sugar coating it for someone, they take the plunge, then maybe run into the same problems I did. Why not be honest from the get go about MY OWN EXPERIENCE.

What kind of crap moderator are you, on this site, that you're afraid of giving people honest opinions, and you come into other threads criticising others who were only trying to help because you're butt-hurt about someone's opinions about your beloved country.
Calm down matey,

I just thought it needed to be pointed out that some of the opinions you stated as fact (examples given above) were obviously, screamingly, WRONG, and that the OP should know that. Then when you tried to deny you'd used the word "inferior" in any context I pointed out you were wrong about that as well. That's all.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If someone from the UK went into the US forums asking for honest opinions from British expats, you'd be doing them a disservice by not voicing some negatives that the original poster should be aware of. It's not like walking down the street. It's abandoning your whole life to live in another country and starting over essentially. I'd be very interested in seeing both positive and negative reviews about a country I was considering moving to. Hell, I want to see both kinds of reviews when I see a movie for Christ sake. There's no point sugar coating it for someone, they take the plunge, then maybe run into the same problems I did. Why not be honest from the get go about MY OWN EXPERIENCE, and let them draw their own conclusions from it. What's the point of coming in here like cats who got their tails run over screeching and derailing the point of the thread simply because I told the story of my own experience here.
Excuse me...for starters my post to Cindy and Meauxna was about comments made about the US and USC in general...not directly at this thread or your post. Secondly even the OP...your fellow countryman or should I say women...didn't appreciate your comments.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=66

Thirdly I shall ignore your last comment.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Excuse me...for starters my post to Cindy and Meauxna was about comments made about the US and USC in general...not directly at this thread or your post. Secondly even the OP...your fellow countryman or should I say women...didn't appreciate your comments.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=66

Thirdly I shall ignore your last comment.
Please do ignore it. I edited it out as it was in poor taste though I still do feel that as a moderator, your personal feelings shouldn't be used to attack someone else's post.

I'm sorry that the OP didn't like my post, I can't change that. I felt I came from a similar environment, moving to a similar environment and assumed that she'd be interested in some of the negatives that I've experienced personally so she could make an educated, informed decision. She's only interested in the sugar-coated positives which is fine, but not how I'd go about a life changing decision. She clearly made this thread already having decided to make the move, so acted like everyone else, clearly in love with the UK (even if they don't live there).

I've been calm this entire time and I'll stop posting if I stop being attacked. I'm always up for a nice debate, but the generalizations and attacks thrown at me in this thread were uncalled for and unfair, no matter how offended my honesty made some people.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Oh thanks panda...I am an idiot and a retard. You really are a nice fellow aren't you?

It is Americans like YOU that give the rest of us a bad name. For England's sake you should leave there immediately and for America's sake don't come here either. There must be a remote island somewhere for close-minded nuts like yourself. Oh wait maybe California can just break off of the USA and float away in its own overrated cloud of smog.

Cheerio
Old May 19th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I once made a very long post on this board in response to a girl who asked about moving to live in a place called Al Wakra with her boyfriend, I did exactly as you stated above. Gave her the cold harsh facts of what she was likely to face, some tips on how to overcome it all if she chose to come and advised her to think before she did. Believe I told her it looked much like downtown Bagdhad if I remember correctly.

It's not really comparable though and this is like talking to a brick wall. Nevermind, you have missed the point entirely, and if you cant see it after all this, you never will.

I hope your wifes kids don't miss their Mum too much in her rush to get out of a country inferior in so many ways to the USA
Old May 19th 2008, 12:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
true, they weren't all negative - IIRC he liked the TV and the chocolate, but that was basically it. Throughout his posts on this thread there was an undercurrent of chip-shoulderness and although his first post might not have sounded combative to you it certainly got a few other people's backs up.

I think the trouble was that some of his complaints (notably the claims about six months without a single ray of sunshine, everything without exception 3x more expensive in the UK) were obviously wrong and when called on this Mr Juice got a bit little bit pissy and some of his true colours were revealed. Whinging about immigration and posting links to the Daily Mail were a bit of a hint.
Sadly, it did, as many posts that tap into emotions do, (especially about our respective home countries get out of hand when fingers start getting pointed, and please note I'm not saying WHOSE fingers-UK or US.

Now mind you, I'm not saying it was the UK-it was Germany actually, but after being there 4 months, my son (age 3 at the time), started bouncing up and down on the couch and pointing out the window yelling, "the sun, the sun." I'm one of those who don't care if it's 30 below as long as the sun is shining.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:10 am
A lion in your lap

I'll stop posting if I stop being attacked. I'm always up for a nice debate, but the generalizations and attacks thrown at me in this thread were uncalled for and unfair, no matter how offended my honesty made some people.
You don't get it, do you?

If I said "in three years living in the USA I've never met a single American who wasn't a fat, gun toting, bible-bashing redneck idiot" would you applaud my "honesty", or would you instead point out (correctly) that this was an unsupportable generalization and that as one who as lived in the USA for 30+ years and made regular trips back home you felt should be challenged?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.