American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by Zen10
I don't think the OP is asking the impossible at all. Britain is very welcoming of outsiders (cities, anyway), hell even I had problems in English towns and I'm born and raised there.

She just needs to focus and get things in order, starting with by visiting for a few weeks to determine which location is right.
If you look at the "find all posts by the OP" you will find that there are pages and pages of advice over a number of months, regarding places in the UK and how best to make a decision regarding them.

Unfortunately it all got rather tedious for those folks providing advice, and, since no-one could convince the OP that visiting the UK at least once before making a decision would be a good idea, it all became rather pointless.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:57 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you look at the "find all posts by the OP" you will find that there are pages and pages of advice over a number of months, regarding places in the UK and how best to make a decision regarding them.

Unfortunately it all got rather tedious for those folks providing advice, and, since no-one could convince the OP that visiting the UK at least once before making a decision would be a good idea, it all became rather pointless.
I see. I rarely check back posts. She should definitely visit before moving. That is how come I know I could live in Rome but not Bedford...
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:37 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Well I don't think attacking said OP is the way to go either. Who is more tedious, the OP or the person complaining about being made to reply again. Just don't reply if she irritates said people so much.

From my perspective she is a worried and skeptical American. It's not that uncommon. Especially when America is all you know. And all Fox News does day in and day out is make you think the rest of the world are standing idly by sharpening their pitchforks ready to get the American when they do eventually venture out. It's ultimately a very fearful country and for the vast majority of people, they never leave, some dont even travel outside of the state they are in.

It just sounds like the OP needs some serious convincing and all her posts are probably an effort on her half to convince herself.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
It just sounds like the OP needs some serious convincing and all her posts are probably an effort on her half to convince herself.
Over to you then.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Over to you then.
I'm getting quotes for that Dreamliner charter, so there'll be plenty of seats available! Bring your own fire extinguisher!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm getting quotes for that Dreamliner charter, so there'll be plenty of seats available! Bring your own fire extinguisher!
Chocs away! (Maybe).
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:44 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Chocs away! (Maybe).
No idea what anyone is talking about anymore.. but hoorah.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
No idea what anyone is talking about anymore.. but hoorah.
We should charter a flight and go over with her, to make sure she makes the trip.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

This is very true. Plenty of places in England have a decent journey time by train to make day trips feasible, but still sufficiently far to be unattractive for commuters to London, because the daily time sat on the train is too long and the season ticket astronomical.
See now I thought I had found the perfect place in Canterbury. But now I learn that the new high speed train to London will draw it into the commuter band. Would you mind listing off those places you were referring to?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
See now I thought I had found the perfect place in Canterbury. But now I learn that the new high speed train to London will draw it into the commuter band. Would you mind listing off those places you were referring to?
To be honest I don't have a list. This is subjective, because some people might be OK with a daily commute that others would feel is intolerably long as well as too expensive.

Take Bristol to London, for instance. Fastest journey time seems to be 1h 44m. Many journeys are two hours or more. Longer than I'd want to sit on a train twice a day five days a week, but many people commute from Bristol every day and that is somewhat reflected in house prices. But, it'd be great for an occasional day trip to London if you're retired etc.!

I guess any journey time up to three hours is doable for an occasional day trip; in the west country that would get you as far as Taunton or Exeter. In another direction, Norwich is about two hours I think, and property prices are reasonable there..
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:06 pm
Banned

picaflor is an unknown quantity at this point

I imagine this would be impossible to decide as an outsider. I am British, know the country/culture (or how is was a decade ago) but even as I contemplate my return I am dazed and confused about how it could be, perhaps I suffer from too much realism...

So really the only logical way to do this is a) job location b) family or friends or c) unless you are independently wealthy so you can arbitrarily choose anywhere. Without that structure, or a good local knowledge...its just a fantasy.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

The High Speed service from Canterbury West into St Pancras started in December 2009 so property prices have already adjusted for the positive impact from that. In the intervening period Pfizers main research centre ex-USA in Sandwich which had many (several thousand) high-paying jobs drawing from the area of Canterbury and east has closed so there are pluses and minuses in terms property price and rent drivers. Canterbury is not known for being a high wage/salary paying area in itself though there is a lot of academia and their salaries would tend to be at the higher end.

In Kent, there are several spots which are less commutable and property prices are at the lower end but they typically are not places that commend themselves - such as Thanet, and because property prices are lower they tend to attract less desirable tenants - a sort of vicious circle. However, Broadstairs is at the kind of end-of-the-line in Thanet and on the High Speed line and the North Foreland area is actually mostly highly desirable. Deal is also worth a look, as is Sandwich but these places have far less to do and less going on than Canterbury. I'm bearing in mind you would not want to use a car*.

*Elsewhere in the south-east it's hard to find anywhere that doesn't get boosted by commuting because it's accessible. Even inaccessible, such as Cranbrook and Tenterden have solid house-price support. In Suffolk there is inaccessible Framlingham and in Norfolk there's Fakenham. South-West of London there's not much not affected by commuting and then you hit the retirement zone which is boosted another way. North-West is Bucks which is PRIME commuter as is much of the north side such as St Albans and Harpenden. Thaxted in Essex has a following. Up north, Ely is also worth a look and is 1hr 15mins from King's Cross, a fair bit longer to Liverpool Street.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 23rd 2013 at 8:35 pm. Reason: Deal Elsewhere in the south-east
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
The High Speed service from Canterbury West into St Pancras started in December 2009 so property prices have already adjusted for the positive impact from that. In the intervening period Pfizers main research centre ex-USA in Sandwich which had many (several thousand) high-paying jobs drawing from the area of Canterbury and east has closed so there are pluses and minuses in terms property price and rent drivers. Canterbury is not known for being a high wage/salary paying area in itself though there is a lot of academia and their salaries would tend to be at the higher end.

In Kent, there are several spots which are less commutable and property prices are at the lower end but they typically are not places that commend themselves - such as Thanet, and because property prices are lower they tend to attract less desirable tenants - a sort of vicious circle. However, Broadstairs is at the kind of end-of-the-line in Thanet and on the High Speed line and the North Foreland area is actually mostly highly desirable. Deal is also worth a look, as is Sandwich but these places have far less to do and less going on than Canterbury. I'm bearing in mind you would not want to use a car*.

*Elsewhere in the south-east it's hard to find anywhere that doesn't get boosted by commuting because it's accessible. Even inaccessible, such as Cranbrook and Tenterden have solid house-price support. In Suffolk there is inaccessible Framlingham and in Norfolk there's Fakenham. South-West of London there's not much not affected by commuting and then you hit the retirement zone which is boosted another way. North-West is Bucks which is PRIME commuter as is much of the north side such as St Albans and Harpenden. Thaxted in Essex has a following. Up north, Ely is also worth a look and is 1hr 15mins from King's Cross, a fair bit longer to Liverpool Street.
It's a conundrum, Pete. Wanting to be near London, but not actually needing to be within commuter distance
By the way, this is pretty much what we are looking for:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25663959.html

Last edited by Perth; Jan 24th 2013 at 1:00 am. Reason: addition
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a conundrum, Pete. Wanting to be near London, but not actually needing to be within commuter distance
By the way, this is pretty much what we are looking for:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25663959.html
On a micro basis, i.e. within Canterbury, IMHO it is best to be located on the Dover Road side as per this property as you are not as close to the two stations as commuters would ideally want to be. It is still easy to get in on foot. If you are a cricket fan the Kent ground is in that area.

In my previous post I forgot Eastbourne/Worthing but we have already "been" there in discussion on this thread or its predecessor. Also, there is some value in Rye and an artist scene but care has to be taken as it is on the edge of a flood plain and this can affect some property in low lying areas. From Rye, the run to London by rail is via Hastings and Tunbridge Wells which is not too arduous.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 24th 2013 at 10:12 am. Reason: and this can affect....
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
On a micro basis, i.e. within Canterbury, IMHO it is best to be located on the Dover Road side as per this property as you are not as close to the two stations as commuters would ideally want to be. It is still easy to get in on foot. If you are a cricket fan the Kent ground is in that area.

In my previous post I forgot Eastbourne/Worthing but we have already "been" there in discussion on this thread or its predecessor. Also, there is some value in Rye and an artist scene but care has to be taken as it is on the edge of a flood plain and this can affect some property in low lying areas. From Rye, the run to London by rail is via Hastings and Tunbridge Wells which is not too arduous.
Bus run along the Dover Rd too though, right? Yes, do love a spot of cricket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.