American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is such an excellent point. I think Americans generally have a hard time with the mixed nature of society here, just as I had a hard time with the divisions when I first moved there. I lived in a 'nice' town in Connecticut where you literally crossed the railway tracks and were in some kind of urban hell. I remember being genuinely shocked and wondering why the people on the wrong side of the tracks didn't just come into town and steal everything! Here a great big detached house worth £600,000 can be just on the edge of a not-so-nice housing estate. In very few places are people truly separated the way they are in the US.

That has its pluses in that there are very few no-go zones except in the big cities (and even then not many of them) but also means that even in the nicest areas, there is petty crime and Friday nights in town can be an adventure. I don't mind this at all, but it might be a culture shock.
Just to add to the confusion. My experience is the opposite. In the UK there are huge council estates. In comparison Seattle integrates its public housing, small groups of houses within private areas. Even the larger housing plans like High Point, include developing new private housing for sale.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

I'm really appreciating this thread, so thank you to everyone for contributing!

UK crime is mapped on a website http://www.police.uk/ so you can just enter the name of a town or street or postal code and see what has occurred there month by month and the nature of the crime. You can sort nature of crime by selecting of the index list once the map comes up.
Thank you SO much for posting this, so useful!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Just to add to the confusion. My experience is the opposite. In the UK there are huge council estates. In comparison Seattle integrates its public housing, small groups of houses within private areas. Even the larger housing plans like High Point, include developing new private housing for sale.
Everything is very divided around here.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
That's the way things are going here too in some areas - but my point really wasn't about public housing developments. It was about the fact that in England it's very hard for a reasonably well-to-do person to segregate him or herself from the less well-to-do. With the odd exception, they will all be living in close proximity whether it's a town, a city or a village. (And what's more everyone will know their exact place in the social hierarchy even though it's unspoken!) Where I am now is relatively well-heeled, but go into town and you'll see overweight single mums in tight skirts pushing prams while smoking and even drinking, or gangs of guys being loud and obnoxious on a Friday night. We're all thrown together into one happy family

In the US, it's extremely easy for the well-to-do to avoid the poor.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 18th 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way things are going here too in some areas - but my point really wasn't about public housing developments. It was about the fact that in England it's very hard for a reasonably well-to-do person to segregate him or herself from the less well-to-do. With the odd exception, they will all be living in close proximity whether it's a town, a city or a village. (And what's more everyone will know their exact place in the social hierarchy even though it's unspoken!) Where I am now is relatively well-heeled, but go into town and you'll see overweight single mums in tight skirts pushing prams while smoking and even drinking, or gangs of guys being loud and obnoxious on a Friday night. We're all thrown together into one happy family

Living in extended 'lala' land as I do - in some ways its even worse in SD, I agree. In the US people may in cities live close together rich and poor, but the intangible barriers are there.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most important thing, for a self-employed person, in contemplating a move to the UK is that there is a major decision to be made that overshadows the rest.

Which is (1) near London (perhaps within 80 miles or so) or (2) away from London.

The choice of which way to go is crucial because London, and its environs, is one of the most expensive cities in the world, especially for foreigners. But on the other hand it may very well be the only place where your business is to be found.

Everyone will have their views. Personally I would choose Chester or West Kirkby, for the first year. Really nice, relatively inexpensive areas, no big traffic or parking problems and with good train services that make day trips to London by rail (for business or pleasure) easy to make.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, in a lot of places, we can live in peace by being separated from people who want to be disruptive.

In the city where I live the police represent the people and clamp down on people who want to disturb the peace. The city is ranked at one of the top places to retire to. That's one of the reasons we chose to live here.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This is such an excellent point. I think Americans generally have a hard time with the mixed nature of society here, just as I had a hard time with the divisions when I first moved there. I lived in a 'nice' town in Connecticut where you literally crossed the railway tracks and were in some kind of urban hell. I remember being genuinely shocked and wondering why the people on the wrong side of the tracks didn't just come into town and steal everything! Here a great big detached house worth £600,000 can be just on the edge of a not-so-nice housing estate. In very few places are people truly separated the way they are in the US.

That has its pluses in that there are very few no-go zones except in the big cities (and even then not many of them) but also means that even in the nicest areas, there is petty crime and Friday nights in town can be an adventure. I don't mind this at all, but it might be a culture shock.

I have seen programs here from Britain and about the drunken hooligans on the streets and I don't think it is the problem of the youth but instead it could be the culture. The police don't have the backing of the courts to put a stop to the roudiness. My view but I'm not there so I could be wrong.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is such an excellent point. I think Americans generally have a hard time with the mixed nature of society here, just as I had a hard time with the divisions when I first moved there. I lived in a 'nice' town in Connecticut where you literally crossed the railway tracks and were in some kind of urban hell. I remember being genuinely shocked and wondering why the people on the wrong side of the tracks didn't just come into town and steal everything! Here a great big detached house worth £600,000 can be just on the edge of a not-so-nice housing estate.
With all due respect I disagree, there are many places in the US where you can go from fancy housing, of the sort that I can only dream of owning, to dilapidated hovels in just a block or two. In the town near my home you can walk from the fanciest largest home in the city that, with its grounds occupies a whole city block, to a rent-a-room boarding house only 2-3 blocks away in an area that has a drug problem and is known to be dangerous; about half way between a nice enough home was stripped of its copper plumbing a couple of years ago when it sat vacant.

The same was true when I tried to find a home in Westchester county, just north of NYC, where you could go from houses I will never be able to afford to houses you couldn't pay me to live in, in just a few hundred yards.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 19th 2013 at 2:39 am.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With all due respect I disagree, there are many places in the US where you can go from fancy housing, of the sort that I can only dream of owning, to dilapidated hovels in just a block or two. In the town near my home you can walk from the fanciest largest home in the city that, with its grounds occupies a whole city block, to a rent-a-room boarding house only 2-3 blocks away in an area that has a drug problem and is known to be dangerous; about half way between a nice enough home was stripped of its copper plumbing a couple of years ago when it sat vacant.
I have seen the same thing in the large cities in the US. That is the big expensive homes next to ghettos and no cushion of in between homes. Thinking San Francisco Bay Area comes to mind here. The main stream population I think move to the suburbs. The cities bustle during the day but after 6 pm you can shoot a cannon on the streets and not hit anything because people have raced out to their homes in the suburbs after work.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:52 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The same was true when I tried to find a home in Westchester county, just north of NYC, where you could go from houses I will never be able to afford to houses you couldn't pay me to live in, in just a few hundred yards.
That's where I lived. My town was safe as houses - we used to go out and leave the doors locked. And yet just down the road was Mount Vernon where many people lived in squalor. Not once did I see a person from those areas of Mount Vernon on the streets of our little town. Not once in 13 years.

Here in my current town, I see a mix of every walk of life every time I go shopping. I actually prefer it here because I think that segregation is what makes it easy for people in America to overlook the plight of the very poor, but I know a lot of Americans who would find it hard.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I think the most important thing, for a self-employed person, in contemplating a move to the UK is that there is a major decision to be made that overshadows the rest.

Which is (1) near London (perhaps within 80 miles or so) or (2) away from London.

The choice of which way to go is crucial because London, and its environs, is one of the most expensive cities in the world, especially for foreigners. But on the other hand it may very well be the only place where your business is to be found.

Everyone will have their views. Personally I would choose Chester or West Kirkby, for the first year. Really nice, relatively inexpensive areas, no big traffic or parking problems and with good train services that make day trips to London by rail (for business or pleasure) easy to make.
This is very true. Plenty of places in England have a decent journey time by train to make day trips feasible, but still sufficiently far to be unattractive for commuters to London, because the daily time sat on the train is too long and the season ticket astronomical.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:35 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Really. Again?

The odds of success of landing yourself and your dog in a perfect house in a perfect community in a country you have never even visited, 4000 miles from where you live now, are about..............2 percent?

No wonder you cannot make up your mind. You are expecting the impossible.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:23 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
What about Oxfordshire....any ideas for that area?
Oxfordshire is expensive because 1) it's got the uni, 2) it's pretty close to London with regular train and coach services, and 3) (despite 2) it's still very rural.

Personally I wouldn't live in a small town in rural England because they are often very insular and many of the families there have lived there for centuries. They don't need anyone else in their lives and they don't want anyone else in their lives. Sam can be said for small towns everywhere in the world.

If I were you I would go to a city because you are trying to set up a business (photography) so you need clients, you want to be around other Americans (at least in the beginning) and city folk in my opinion are more welcoming of outsiders.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:26 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Really. Again?

The odds of success of landing yourself and your dog in a perfect house in a perfect community in a country you have never even visited, 4000 miles from where you live now, are about..............2 percent?

No wonder you cannot make up your mind. You are expecting the impossible.
I don't think the OP is asking the impossible at all. Britain is very welcoming of outsiders (cities, anyway), hell even I had problems in English towns and I'm born and raised there.

She just needs to focus and get things in order, starting with by visiting for a few weeks to determine which location is right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.