American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's what we've been trying to tell her for ages.
We should charter a flight and go over with her, to make sure she makes the trip.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We should charter a flight and go over with her, to make sure she makes the trip.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 5:58 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Smile Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Hello all,

I have to go through all these comments and reply one by one, which I will do shortly.

But I just want to say that I think you all are wonderful.I mean it. You are so funny and helpful, informative, thoughtful and very patient with me while I try to figure this out.

The way you treat people, the honesty you show with what you share is really precious.

So thanks, really, and please keep it coming.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Sile,
UK crime is mapped on a website http://www.police.uk/ so you can just enter the name of a town or street or postal code and see what has occurred there month by month and the nature of the crime. You can sort nature of crime by selecting of the index list once the map comes up.

For instance, I can see that within 1 mile of city center of Norwich there were 909 logged offenses in November 2012 of which 318 were anti-social (could be graffiti or drunk disorder etc), 142 Shoplifting, 132 theft not shoplifting, 123 violence against persons, and only 3 robbery.
Frankly I am surprised because I visit Norwich and had seen no indication that this was happening.
However, if I look at 1 mile outside the center the total for November drops to 288.

Try it out with just one of the cities that have some appeal to you - try a small town or it can take a while to load if you pick a major city.
You can drag the marker around the map to, say a residential area that a realtor might suggest, to 'see' different areas of 1 mile radius.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jan 17th 2013 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Thanks for your comments. I didn't mention London because I assume I can't afford to live somewhere nice within London.
I would avoid London as it would be hard to make friends there I think. It's also the one place where you might not feel safe (I used to work there) in the sort of areas you could likely afford.

If you took the plunge, it might be an idea to do a grand tour of the areas you are interested by train (we have an extensive network) and stay in Premier Inn hotels as they are cheap but safe, clean comfortable and have on-site restaurants with edible food. This would give you an idea about where you might want to then look at available properties. If you could live in a 2-3 bed property that would bring the cost down considerably particularly if you looked at newbuild houses in say an historic area.
I have been to all the places you listed but could not advise re areas to live.

You might want to look into East Sussex Coast in general - anywhere from Rye to Worthing - only Brighton is very expensive. Easy reach of London and Gatwick airport by train.

Last edited by luvwelly; Jan 17th 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Sile,
UK crime is mapped on a website http://www.police.uk/ so you can just enter the name of a town or street or postal code and see what has occurred there month by month and the nature of the crime. You can sort nature of crime by selecting of the index list once the map comes up.

For instance, I can see that within 1 mile of city center of Norwich there were 909 logged offenses in November 2012 of which 318 were anti-social (could be graffiti or drunk disorder etc), 142 Shoplifting, 132 theft not shoplifting, 123 violence against persons, and only 3 robbery.
Frankly I am surprised because I visit Norwich and had seen no indication that this was happening.
However, if I look at 1 mile outside the center the total for November drops to 288.

Try it out with just one of the cities that have some appeal to you - try a small town or it can take a while to load if you pick a major city.
You can drag the marker around the map to, say a residential area that a realtor might suggest, to 'see' different areas of 1 mile radius.
Blimey those figures make Norwich sound like a den of crime and place to be avoided. Seemed fine last time I was there!
For some balance I just googled my Mum's postcode which is not a posh area but we consider it safe. It came out at 287 incidents which is far less than Norwich but I think these stats are a bit misleading as the larger the population the higher the figures. Any town centre will record incidents because of drunken behaviour at Pub chucking out time etc etc

Just checked where my rented out UK property(East Sussex) and it's only 110 - I lived there 15 years and always felt safe, it was a private housing estate nearby some Housing Association ones.
I have a theory that Youth crime may be lower than in the past as teenagers are glued to X Boxes/internet etc

Last edited by luvwelly; Jan 17th 2013 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your reply. I will look onto emailing estate agents when I narrow things down a bit. And yes, I would like to be able to meet up with other "US persons" .....
If that's important to you try Newmarket, NE of Cambridge. It is close to the Mildenhall USAAF airbase. It's only a short train ride to Cambridge for a culture fix, and from there an easy ride into London too. The town is barely bigger than overgrown village, and very walkable, also has vets, lots of vets.

Just bear in mind that many of the villagy places you are interested in will leave you very isolated if you don't have a car ..... and with a huge gas bill if you do!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:16 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If that's important to you try Newmarket, NE of Cambridge. It is close to the Mildenhall USAAF airbase. It's only a short train ride to Cambridge for a culture fix, and from there an easy ride into London too. The town is barely bigger than overgrown village, and very walkable, also has vets, lots of vets.

Just bear in mind that many of the villagy places you are interested in will leave you very isolated if you don't have a car ..... and with a huge gas bill if you do!
Think its a little odd to go to another country only to be around your own countrymen, although many nationalities do it except the British i've found.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Think its a little odd to go to another country only to be around your own countrymen, although many nationalities do it except the British i've found.
She wouldn't be living on the base though

Quite natural to want the opportunity to meet some fellow countrymen/women.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Communities on the Spanish coast suggest otherwise.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Think its a little odd to go to another country only to be around your own countrymen, although many nationalities do it except the British I've found.
You'll find the British typically do it too when they emigrate to non-English-speaking countries.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:01 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
She wouldn't be living on the base though

Quite natural to want the opportunity to meet some fellow countrymen/women.
Really that's what people do? (that's said without sarcasm) I guess I should just shut up, because my experiences seem to be the opposite of a lot of people, but I also will say when I went to other countries, last thing I wanted was to be around more British or American people. Thought that was the point of traveling to immerse oneself totally in another culture.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Really that's what people do? (that's said without sarcasm) I guess I should just shut up, because my experiences seem to be the opposite of a lot of people, but I also will say when I went to other countries, last thing I wanted was to be around more British or American people. Thought that was the point of traveling to immerse oneself totally in another culture.
Horses for courses. and time and a place. People go abroad for all sorts of reasons.

I know in my travelling days, after I have been in the back of beyond with the natives for a while, I was desperate to meet up with English speakers.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I really believe at this stage you need to just come over for 2 weeks and go traveling around a list of places you are interested in to get a feel for them. You have a very American attitude to places regarding safety. There's not many places in the UK you would feel in danger of living in, we have no Chicago's or Detroit's in the UK, every area as said before is mixed.
This is such an excellent point. I think Americans generally have a hard time with the mixed nature of society here, just as I had a hard time with the divisions when I first moved there. I lived in a 'nice' town in Connecticut where you literally crossed the railway tracks and were in some kind of urban hell. I remember being genuinely shocked and wondering why the people on the wrong side of the tracks didn't just come into town and steal everything! Here a great big detached house worth £600,000 can be just on the edge of a not-so-nice housing estate. In very few places are people truly separated the way they are in the US.

That has its pluses in that there are very few no-go zones except in the big cities (and even then not many of them) but also means that even in the nicest areas, there is petty crime and Friday nights in town can be an adventure. I don't mind this at all, but it might be a culture shock.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I have used rightmove a lot, and it had been very helpful, however, again, I have no idea when I am looking at something if it is in a good, safe area. They don't say that in the ads
As a rough rule of thumb, in UK 'detached' usually means 'good, safe' so long as it is not converted into flats.
I found it much harder to pick 'good areas' in NZ as virtually all property in NZ is detached regardless of income level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.