Am I eligible to get a UK passport through my father?

Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible to get a UK passport through my father?

Originally Posted by Maheen Siddiqi
Sorry it was under the immigration act 1962. But as far as I know, only those subjects were able to retain their status who showed some strong ties or considered UK as their permanent home. My father officially started his own company in the year 1967 so that blue passport he got in 1971 might be given on the basis that he was already married to a UK born woman and working? After that he was issued two passports and the last one confirmed his British citizenship.
Fourth time lucky: what else is printed on your father's certificate other than the date?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Maheen Siddiqi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Fourth time lucky: what else is printed on your father's certificate other than the date?
Looking at the registration certificate which I received, it appears that my father was registered under section 6 (1) of the British nationality act 1948. As far as I know his status is otherwise than by descent. However, I'm not sure if my father's British status can be passed onto myself because he wasn't born in the UK. Other than that, his place of birth is mentioned which is India. I've confirmed his status from the Home Office and they said he acquired it on his own but cannot confirm if I can claim or not unless they receive an application. Totally a risk.

Sorry for troubling you again but I'm still confused, have an appointment tomorrow I don't want to waste my money and time if I'm not getting one
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the registration certificate which I received, it appears that my father was registered under section 6 (1) of the British nationality act 1948. As far as I know his status is otherwise than by descent. However, I'm not sure if my father's British status can be passed onto myself because he wasn't born in the UK. Other than that, his place of birth is mentioned which is India. I've confirmed his status from the Home Office and they said he acquired it on his own but cannot confirm if I can claim or not unless they receive an application. Totally a risk.

Sorry for troubling you again but I'm still confused, have an appointment tomorrow I don't want to waste my money and time if I'm not getting one
In that case your father would be a British citizen other than by descent meaning providing he was married to your mother at the time of your birth then you would automatically be a British citizen by descent and you need only apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:15 am
Just Joined

In that case your father would be a British citizen other than by descent meaning providing he was married to your mother at the time of your birth then you would automatically be a British citizen by descent and you need only apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Yes, but I've been told by some people that just because he was registered under the 1948 Act which no longer exists, disqualifies me to claim a British passport. The ACT is the main problem.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:18 am

Yes, but I've been told by some people that just because he was registered under the 1948 Act which no longer exists, disqualifies me to claim a British passport. The ACT is the main problem.
They're wrong.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:24 am
Just Joined

They're wrong.
Hope so.

Thank you so much, you've been a great help to me. God bless!
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hope so.

Thank you so much, you've been a great help to me. God bless!
BiP is a BE treasure.

for you and good news.