Advice

Old Aug 24th 2017, 9:09 am
Just Joined

LDF93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Which category are you applying under?

If Cat A you need 6 months of payslips and bank statement, if under Cat B then 12 month of each (you don't need payslips and bank statements going back to commencement of employment)

You only need to send a copy of YOUR passport bio page - not the whole passport.

The visa fee is 1,464 GBP.
I have been with my current employer from just over 5 years, but only started earning over the threshold on the 3rd of April this year. As I have been with my current employer for so long, we will be applying under category A.

I'm hoping that printed payslips will be OK - our organisation has been phasing out paper ones for some time now.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That looks good. Just make sure that the birth certificates you supply are the 'long form' versions. It will vary by state but these aren't usually given out in the US as a matter of course so you may need to order that specially and make a point of specifying that you want the long form variant.
Thank you for this as well - that's something we've not thought of or considered. I'll ask my partner to get a copy of hers within the next few weeks. Does anything else stand out from the list?

Last edited by LDF93; Aug 24th 2017 at 9:11 am.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 9:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LDF93
I have been with my current employer from just over 5 years, but only started earning over the threshold on the 3rd of April this year. As I have been with my current employer for so long, we will be applying under category A.

I'm hoping that printed payslips will be OK - our organisation has been phasing out paper ones for some time now.

Thank you for this as well - that's something we've not thought of or considered. I'll ask my partner to get a copy of hers within the next few weeks. Does anything else stand out from the list?
It looks solid. Just bear in mind that anything that isn't an 'original' (like your payslips) should be either stamped as authentic by the relevant powers that be or accompanied by a signed-in-ink letter on letterheaded paper stating that they are as issued.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

So just from looking around this forum, it seems like getting a child passport for a child born overseas can take a considerable amount of time. Obviously I want the least amount of time with my family by this point - so would it raise issues if my son only had his US passport, so long as his British birth certificate was provided?

If that is impossible, unfeasible, would likely result in the rejection of our application, or would lead to our finding it more difficult in proving his British citizenship, what would we need to be aware of with the application for his passport?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

It looks solid. Just bear in mind that anything that isn't an 'original' (like your payslips) should be either stamped as authentic by the relevant powers that be or accompanied by a signed-in-ink letter on letterheaded paper stating that they are as issued.
we face a similar issue here in that nobody gets payslips. Why have payslips in a country where you pay no tax or social security contributions.

Here we have to get a signed/stamped Salary Certificate from the company on letterhead paper stating the required information. This corresponds with payments made into that salary account and the employment contract.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So just from looking around this forum, it seems like getting a child passport for a child born overseas can take a considerable amount of time. Obviously I want the least amount of time with my family by this point - so would it raise issues if my son only had his US passport, so long as his British birth certificate was provided?

If that is impossible, unfeasible, would likely result in the rejection of our application, or would lead to our finding it more difficult in proving his British citizenship, what would we need to be aware of with the application for his passport?
Processing times for overseas passport applications vary wildly depending on the country of birth. Applicants born in the US can expect a two week turnaround based on the current anecdotal evidence.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Processing times for overseas passport applications vary wildly depending on the country of birth. Applicants born in the US can expect a two week turnaround based on the current anecdotal evidence.
Oh fantastic! That's a weight off my mind. I have heard horror stories of individuals from other countries waiting upwards of 6 months.

My next question is one of procedure. My understanding is that the bulk of the application is done online. When completing the application, we book an appointment at a location where my partner will have her biometrics taken. From there, we have a time limit in which to send the (printed) application, proof of biometrics, and our supporting documents, to Sheffield. If we don't pay for the premium service, then we must send the documents ourselves. If we do, the centre will send them on our behalf.

Would that be correct?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:53 pm

Oh fantastic! That's a weight off my mind. I have heard horror stories of individuals from other countries waiting upwards of 6 months.

My next question is one of procedure. My understanding is that the bulk of the application is done online. When completing the application, we book an appointment at a location where my partner will have her biometrics taken. From there, we have a time limit in which to send the (printed) application, proof of biometrics, and our supporting documents, to Sheffield. If we don't pay for the premium service, then we must send the documents ourselves. If we do, the centre will send them on our behalf.

Would that be correct?
My understanding is that the documents are now invariably scanned at the VAC and sent electronically to Sheffield for processing.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

My understanding is that the documents are now invariably scanned at the VAC and sent electronically to Sheffield for processing.
I see. Would you happen to have a source for that information? I'm just trying to get the process as straight as possible so we don't meet any surprises in a couple of months.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Just to keep things updated - we married on the 26th of November and our son was born on the 9th of October. The time we all spent together was absolutely wonderful. I returned to England on the 3rd of November.

At the moment we're waiting for our marriage certificate and our son's birth certificate. Once we receive those documents (which is taking forever thanks to the well-oiled American machine - 6 weeks so far!), we will be able to apply for my wife's new passport under her new name, as well as our son's British birth registration and certificate. Once we have both of his birth certificates, we'll apply for his US and UK passports.

Hopefully we will be able to submit our application before the regular fee increase in April.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:55 pm

I see. Would you happen to have a source for that information? I'm just trying to get the process as straight as possible so we don't meet any surprises in a couple of months.
It appears that applications lodged from the US are still required to be posted to Sheffield for processing.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Last week we submitted our son's consular birth registration. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long. My wife will be getting her new state ID card this month and after that, she can apply for her new passport! So for her, we're getting close to having everything.

For our son, once we have got our documents back from his consular birth registration, we'll take care of his passports.

One quick question - for a child who is a British citizen by descent... obviously he doesn't factor into the financial requirement at all, but do we also need to pay the health surcharge for him, as well as my wife? I'm thinking not, but would like some confirmation.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:46 pm

One quick question - for a child who is a British citizen by descent... obviously he doesn't factor into the financial requirement at all, but do we also need to pay the health surcharge for him, as well as my wife? I'm thinking not, but would like some confirmation.
No. British citizens don't pay.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

No. British citizens don't pay.
Wonderful - thank you for your help, as always.

I was also wondering if anyone could answer... we are now working on our son's UK passport application (his US one has already been sent off). As it's his first British passport, we need a countersignature, and the documentation states that said countersignatory must have a valid passport, as well as not being a direct blood relative.

This being America, comparatively few people have valid passports, so we may actually struggle with this one. Does anyone know if this is a strict requirement for first passports for British babies born in the US?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:24 pm

Wonderful - thank you for your help, as always.

I was also wondering if anyone could answer... we are now working on our son's UK passport application (his US one has already been sent off). As it's his first British passport, we need a countersignature, and the documentation states that said countersignatory must have a valid passport, as well as not being a direct blood relative.

This being America, comparatively few people have valid passports, so we may actually struggle with this one. Does anyone know if this is a strict requirement for first passports for British babies born in the US?
Yes, you'll need to find a countersignatory who holds a valid passport. Preferably British or Irish but an EU, American or Commonwealth (e.g. Canadian) passport holder is also acceptable providing they are willing to supply a photocopy to send off with the application.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Right, we heard back about our son's passport and it looks like I need to sign a DS-053 form and have it notarised by a US notary public. As I live nowhere near London and have an incredibly busy schedule with work, it will be very difficult to make the trip, but I will if I have to.

But before I commit to a full day's trip and travel expenses, is a US passport strictly necessary for our son? Or will a British passport suffice?

EDIT: If it helps, when it comes to traveling back to the UK, our plan is that I will be there with them both from the US side. So I, in effect, can be the one traveling with our son.

Last edited by LDF93; Feb 2nd 2018 at 9:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.