Possible dual citizenship for my father?

Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Alli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible dual citizenship for my father?

I figured this would be the best place to find the answers I'm looking for. I've searched everywhere looking for info but the internet hasn't provided me with much. My dad was born in 1955 in England on a military base. His dad was American, but his mom was British. My question is, although he was born on a US military base, was he still born a citizen of the UK because of my grandmother? He had to be sworn in to the US when he was 18 which leads me to believe he was a citizen of the UK, and if he was does he have dual citizenship?

Last edited by Alli; Aug 21st 2014 at 7:26 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible dual citizenship for my father?

If your father was born in the UK in 1955 then, unless your grandfather held diplomatic status, your father would have been British at birth and would remain so unless he subsequently applied to the Home Office to renounce his citizenship. The citizenship of his parents would've been irrelevant at this time.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Alli is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much! No, he didn't renounce his citizenship. I think he just assumed that he lost it once he got his US citizenship. He didn't look much into it at that time, but that was almost 40 years ago. Now, since my father and grandmother both have citizenship in the UK, does that mean that I have citizenship by descent? I'm confused with how that works.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 9:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alli
Thank you so much! No, he didn't renounce his citizenship. I think he just assumed that he lost it once he got his US citizenship. He didn't look much into it at that time, but that was almost 40 years ago. Now, since my father and grandmother both have citizenship in the UK, does that mean that I have citizenship by descent? I'm confused with how that works.
In that case so long as your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth then you are British by descent. You merely have to apply for your British passport.

As you born in the US however I would recommend you first apply for your British consular birth certificate. This will give you a British-style birth certificate which also states your claim to British citizenship. This acts as standalone evidence of your British citizenship and although whilst initially expensive it can be easily replaced at any time in the future for a small fee by making an application to the GRO. It can also be used by itself to apply for your British passport.