Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by lordrob27
im Australian. met my british wife on the internet. 06. we went through all the oz immigration stuff to get her here. passed everything, did everything, got married in 09 etc. shes lived and worked here all that time. we are wondering if someone can advise us if its the spouse visa we need for me to go over there with her to live. I understand that one of these visas requires her to have been working over there and earning 18,500 year. if that's right its impossible really because shes been here and working. have we got the wrong info. we would really appreciate some guidance. thank you
Welcome to BE.

Please could you contact admin. choosing another username in accordance with the Site Rules? Please click on the 'Contact Us' tab at the bottom right hand side of this page. Thank you.

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, she can have been working in Australia for a salary of £18,600 a year for at least six months as she would have to be able to show pay slips and bank statements fir six months as evidence. She would also have to show evidence that she has a job offer for the same salary (or more of course! ) in the UK to start within three months of your relocation there. If she cannot show that, she would have to go by herself to the UK, work at that salary for six months, at which point, you could apply for a spouse visa.

If you have savings of £62,500 under your control for the past six months, that would be another option.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Hi, there are loads of posts about the spouse visa in the Citizenship/Passport/Visa section here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196. Have a read through these and then you could post specific questions in your own thread.

You're right, there are high financial requirements, either a job with 18600GBP per year or savings of 62500GBP in the name of the British citizen. There are also other requirements.

The spouse visa is no longer an easy option. You might want to also search for info about the Surinder Singh route (via the EEA regulations). Again, you can find some info on the main board by reading the posts. There is loads of stuff available on Google and www.immigrationboards.com
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:16 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordrob27
im Australian. met my british wife on the internet. 06. we went through all the oz immigration stuff to get her here. passed everything, did everything, got married in 09 etc. shes lived and worked here all that time. we are wondering if someone can advise us if its the spouse visa we need for me to go over there with her to live. I understand that one of these visas requires her to have been working over there and earning 18,500 year. if that's right its impossible really because shes been here and working. have we got the wrong info. we would really appreciate some guidance. thank you
Please email me (via the contact link at the bottom of the page) about a username change. You are going to get inundated by spam from spambots if you use your email address as a username.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:58 am
Just Joined

yorkie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I have to apply for a visa for my husband before we return to the UK from the Bahamas.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkie12
Do I have to apply for a visa for my husband before we return to the UK from the Bahamas.
Yes if you are a Brit and he is not.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkie12
We just went through the process from the Bahamas. Even though my husband is not a Bahamian but is from another Caribbean country. If you have any questions, hopefully I can advise.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Paul M B is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a little worried by the news on this thread. I have been in the US for almost five years and i have not been able to set up a stable income to support my Wife and Son. My parents are offering more support than anything we are getting here so we decided the best plan would be to return to the UK and try and build a better life there. I earn very little and we have no savings so does this mean we are just doomed?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul M B
I am a little worried by the news on this thread. I have been in the US for almost five years and i have not been able to set up a stable income to support my Wife and Son. My parents are offering more support than anything we are getting here so we decided the best plan would be to return to the UK and try and build a better life there. I earn very little and we have no savings so does this mean we are just doomed?
It makes it more difficult, yes.

There is the option of moving to somewhere else in the EU and getting in that way, but that has its own set of pro/cons to it.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Is sponsorship still an option? I remember using it from the last time we lived in the uk.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Third-party sponsorship for a spouse visa is no longer allowed. That ended with the rule changes that came into effect in 2012.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately third party sponsorship is no longer allowed. The only options are to have been earning £18,600 a year (more if you have a child) for at least the past six months with the promise of a job to start in the UK within three months of your return, or savings of £62,500 (more if you have a child) again having been sitting in your account for at least six months, untouched and readily accessible. A gift of the same amount is allowed but it must be a gift and not a loan (and it has to be shown that is the case). As Bob says, there is the Surinder Singh route which can be complicated and is becoming more difficult to access. You could return alone to the UK and get a job earning the above and more for the child and when six months have passed, your wife and child can apply to join you. I am sorry I cannot give you better news. I am presuming your wife is a USC?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:15 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

It's just wrong that every man and his dog that is not british, can seem to come and go as they please, but for an actual british citizen, it can be next to impossible to come home with their family!
It's just plain wrong!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

This is absolutely appaling. Yes my wife is a USC. I am living on the poverty line in the US and I have a developing mental health problem that is causing my family concern and hence why they would like to see us return. I have no idea what to do now.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

This is not what our fathers fought and died for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.