Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
I've never noticed the 3 months deadline for using the visa in any of the official documents. A solicitor we asked said that we would have to have concrete plans but nothing more specific.
That's a good point - thanks. We weren't really banking on it, just something were were considering as we put our application together.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
thats just plain wrong then!!
imagine not being able to be the the person you love because neither of you are "wealthy" enough to qualify for the fiances countries visa requirements!
Do you realise that Britain has a minimum wage? I don't know anyone who isn't working in excess of 50 hours per week.

Workers can easily make the new income levels/savings and the disabled are exempt; so the new rules will only affect the other type.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Do you realise that Britain has a minimum wage? I don't know anyone who isn't working in excess of 50 hours per week.

Workers can easily make the new income levels/savings and the disabled are exempt; so the new rules will only affect the other type.
If it's so easy to fulfil the requirements why have them at all? Generally immigration restrictions are the signs of a shrinking economy and dying and fearful country. When those restrictions are extended to the immediate family of UK citizens it's a sign of even deeper issues. Immigration grows an economy it does not hurt it as many in the UK seem to think.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

People who are retired?

Anyway, from what I've read, over 50% of people who are working wouldn't meet the requirements.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
That's true.

Some of us though had plans for our retirement. Where we might be moderately well off but not as well off as the Tories want us to be.

We had plans for a week in London next fall. But then I think "f*** them" if they don't want my money in the future they aren't getting my tourist dollars now.
If you retire to the UK, your free NHS healthcare when you are old; free travel pass and any other pension benefits, will cost the UK taxpayers a lot more than they receive from those "tourist dollars" you are going spend in London on a few holidays.

TBH I see why you (and lots of others) want free healthcare when you retire if you come from a country where this is tied into employment or additional health cost are paid by you; but I don't understand why so many are happy to pay their working taxes to that country and then expect the UK taxpayer to pay for them when they retire?

If these new immigration laws make you come back and work and pay taxes in the UK before you retire, then that is good for the UK taxpayers.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Anyway, from what I've read, over 50% of people who are working wouldn't meet the requirements.
We have a minumin wage for the low skilled. Everyone can make the income levels; if they could be motivated to.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:36 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

People who are retired?

I really just have a basic issue with restricting the ability of of UK citizens and their immediate family to reside in the UK. Any wage or income level is a direct attack on the tradition rights of UK citizens. On this one I'm with the true conservatives, not those in the Tory party that call themselves conservative, but still like to meddle in our private lives.
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Workers can easily make the new income level can they? Well lots would disagree:

But £18,600 is half again as much as someone would make working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, at the minimum wage. According to the Migration Observatory at Oxford University, 47% of British citizens in employment would not qualify to bring in a family member, nor would 58% of people 20-30 years old, or 61% of women of any age.

And the savings level - do you even know what it is? It's £52,500 if you're relying on savings. That's a figure you think people can get?

A lot of people wanting to bring a spouse back from overseas with them will have trouble lining up work from thousands of miles away no matter how good their chances when they actually get there. Whereas before they'd have offers of accommodation, third party sponsors or employment prospects evaluated as part of their case (along with savings if they had them) now they can only rely on that gargantuan sum. If you really think £52,500 is a figure 'most workers' can acquire them I'm not sure what else there is to say to you.
Forum Regular

We have a minumin wage for the low skilled. Everyone can make the income levels; if they could be motivated to.
OK this is either trolling or idiocy. Either way the forum has a block function for a reason. Bye.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
If it's so easy to fulfil the requirements why have them at all?
To ensure the sponsor is willing to work and keep their partner, instead of just expecting the taxpayer to continue to keep them (as per the present rules). We have too many able bodied languishing on welfare at the moment. The welfare reform bill will sort those types, but that takes time.

The government made it quite clear that they were going to protect the UK taxpayers and make work pay.

Last edited by formula; Jun 21st 2012 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

UK minimum wage is £6.19 per hour. That equates to approx £1050 a month for a 40 hour work week. Even with both partners working that comes to considerably less than the £25.5k needed for a couple with two children and less than that needed for a couple with one child. it's slightly highly than the income level needed for a childless couple. And of course with unemployment over 8% the idea that a intended-immigrant couple could have job offers for two jobs on hand to satisfy the requirements for a family visa is dubious, at best. Fortunately, this won't affect me if I choose to move back to the UK, but the reality is that this is going to trap a lot of UK citizens in a horrible situation.

No mention of retirees I see.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 21st 2012 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nun
I really just have a basic issue with restricting the ability of of UK citizens and their immediate family to reside in the UK. Any wage or income level is a direct attack on the tradition rights of UK citizens. On this one I'm with the true conservatives, not those in the Tory party that call themselves conservative, but still like to meddle in our private lives.
I agree, which is why I think there should be a bar on means-tested benefits as opposed to a very high income requirement.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

To ensure the sponsor is willing to work and keep their partner, instead of just expecting the taxpayer to continue to keep them (as per the present rules). We have too many able bodied languishing on welfare at the moment. The welfare reform bill will sort those types, but that takes time.

The government made it quite clear that they were going to protect the UK taxpayers and make work pay.

Here ends the Daily Mail editorial.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

It's amazing how often people like to say immigrants are sponging off the state when there are plenty of rules in place that stop you from claiming benefits - but nevermind, who needs facts when you can be swayed by the Tories and give them the popular outrage they need to get such vile measures passed.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:43 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

UK minimum wage is £6.19 per hour. That equates to approx £1050 a month for a 40 hour work week. Even with both partners working that comes to considerably less than the £25.5k needed for a couple with two children and less than that needed for a couple with one child. it's slightly highly than the income level needed for a childless couple. And of course with unemployment over 8% the idea that a intended-immigrant couple could have job offers for two jobs on hand to satisfy the requirements for a family visa is dubious, at best. Fortunately, this won't affect me if I choose to move back to the UK, but the reality is that this is going to trap a lot of UK citizens in a horrible situation.

No mention of retirees I see.
I agree, the legislation discriminates between UK citizens of differing income levels. A UK citizen should be welcomed back to the UK with their immediate family because they are British, that should be the only criterion. Whether they can or cannot meet an income level or find a job shouldn't be the issue, they are British and should be able to make their life with their family in the UK if they desire. The legislation is anti-British.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.