working days in Hong Kong

Old May 4th 2013, 9:37 am
Just Joined

onestrangeday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working days in Hong Kong

Dear Gentlemen, recently I have been awarded a contract but on it there are something I don't understand.

"Working Hours
4. (a) The standard working hours of the Appointee shall be on average 42 hours per week exclusive of any meal break, which is on a 6-day work basis.

(b) On Saturdays, the Appointee shall be scheduled to work, but shall be compensated by an extra half day allowance which is a single rate compensation."

Q1 what is the normal working day in Hong Kong ? (Monday~Saturday?)
so I don't have Saturday off as what I usually have. If that is the case, maybe I need to reconsider the offer.

Q2.
what does it mean by part b) ? is that mean I am obliged to work on Saturday but I get some money(compensation) from the company or do I have the choice not to work on Saturday?

Any comment would be appreciated

thank you
Old May 4th 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working days in Hong Kong

I used to work tons more hours than that when I was in HK.

And no additional money except for a discretionary bonus.

If you are hoping for a nice 5 day week perhaps HK isn't the place for you.

Certainly all my mates worked as and when required.

That was 15 years ago or more so maybe times and working hours have changed.
I never took a holiday for over two years either.
Old May 6th 2013, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday is a normal working day for many professions in Hong Kong.
The government have now moved to a 5 day week but the private sector is still largely on a 6 day week but Satuday is usually only half day.
Of course it depends what you do. 42 hour week is nothing ! Many people work up to 60 hrs per week. Its only a 7 hour day for 6 days, i.e. 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch. Almost a holiday
You should clarify whether you will be working half day or a full day on Saturday and whether your 0.5 day compensation allowance is for an extra leave day or cash !
Old May 8th 2013, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

robbo462003 is an unknown quantity at this point

If however you were a Filipino or Indonesian Maid you could expect 6 day working week.Mon to Sat,16 hours per day. Thats 96 hour working week for the Princely remuneration of 3520$HK per month.Accommodation and some food provided by the generous employer.However your first four months salary will be taken by the Employment Agency,so no pay until month 5.Also your ID card will be withheld by the Employment Agency until the 4 months salary have been received by them.Maybe your not seeking such a position. Good luck with your career
Old May 8th 2013, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbo462003
If however you were a Filipino or Indonesian Maid you could expect 6 day working week.Mon to Sat,16 hours per day. Thats 96 hour working week for the Princely remuneration of 3520$HK per month.Accommodation and some food provided by the generous employer.However your first four months salary will be taken by the Employment Agency,so no pay until month 5.Also your ID card will be withheld by the Employment Agency until the 4 months salary have been received by them.Maybe your not seeking such a position. Good luck with your career
No doubt you are correct and much of what you say is unacceptable.

But in the end the maid's will do more for their families and be better off when they do return home than most of the so called rich ex pats will.

Our maid has bought two houses, expanded the land for her family's small holding sent her brother through college and paid for her other brother to gain employment in S Korea.

She has also manged to save more than enough for her upcoming wedding and has learned how to market and cook both her style of food and ex pat stuff. My wife has also shown her how to manage her money.

When she arrived she had very little idea of anything although going on her 'cv' and what the agency told us she was an expert at most things. The maid and my wife got on really well and that's the reason my wife took her on even though from few the chat's they had together my wife said it was obvious how little experience she had.

We pay her no more than the contracted rate but there will be a nice bonus when she leaves us although she doesn't know that.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Many places have a six day week, or a 5.5 day week (early release on Saturday). It depends a bit on the trade.

But as others have said, this is not a 40/42/45 hour gentle work environment here in many industries here. Late nights are common in many professions.

This sign, and the retort, explains things pretty well.

Old May 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

onestrangeday is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you gentlemen for your kindly reply, it gives me much help