Where to live in Hong Kong

Old May 24th 2007, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Piperboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Hong Kong

My company is going to move my wife and I out to Hong Kong for an assignment. Where would you suggest we look for accomodation?
We are in our mid 30's and currently live around Shoreditch. Ideally we'd like the same artsy, quirky kind of scene - good restaurants, nice bars, galleries, music venues, etc...

Thanks
Old May 25th 2007, 2:39 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Hong Kong

Where are you working? In Central or off someplace else? Do you really want the hustle and bustle of downtown HK, or are you more interested in something a bit more sedate and family oriented?

Whatever you do, follow the well-meaning advice and renting a corporate place for at least a month first before signing a longer term deal (usually 1+1 year). Also check out http://www.geoexpat.com for more specifics.
Old May 25th 2007, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Piperboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be working in Central and i think we'd like to be quite convenient for the hustle and bustle but not in the middle of it. So somewhere to get out in the fresh air for walks at the weekend but still with plenty of fun stuff to do.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

penny is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved living in Stanley - away from it all (except Sunday) I think that the south side as a whole is much nicer.

P
Old May 28th 2007, 1:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piperboy
I'll be working in Central and i think we'd like to be quite convenient for the hustle and bustle but not in the middle of it. So somewhere to get out in the fresh air for walks at the weekend but still with plenty of fun stuff to do.
Fresh air? I think you'll need a Tardis to go back in a time a bit

But seriously--Hong Kong island is small. You can hop a cab from here to there for a few pounds. To go from Central to Stanley (South Side of the islands, hiking trails, etc) is not a big effort--a bus is 30 minutes at most.

I think most expats are in the midlevels, with those with families heading to Disco Bay or Stanley to escape a little bit. Kind of depends if you want to be in an area with some locals, or a place with a Tapas restaurant and a US bbq joint.

btw, you may have noticed this board is kind of quiet. Most folks are over on http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/ where you'll get far more answers.

As for me, I live (when I'm in HK) in Kennedy Town, which is a local area just a bit off the beaten path. I have a nice view of the water and some local flavor around my place, though I do have a small hike into Central.
Old May 30th 2007, 10:32 am
Just Joined

lifesabeach is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that Soho in Sheung Wan will be ideal for you.This a great place with lots of chic bars,restaurants and art galleries,very popular with expats.
Get ready to be shocked by the pollution in Hong Kong though.It is a complete disgrace and given Soho is close to Central,you will be wrapped in smog for 10 months of the year.I worked in London before I moved to Hong Kong and nothing can prepare you for the pollution when you live here.
Living accomodation also depends on what rental allowance you are given,but if you want to live in a large 1000 sq foot (net)apartment in an expat style building,be prepared to pay at least 1200 - 1500 pounds a month (which I guess is consistent with London rents these days).
Of course you can double that rent,if you wish to live on the south side of the island where there isn't the pollution issue.
I feel sorry for the locals in Hong Kong,not only are their health being ruined by a toothless Hong Kong administration but the majority live in tiny apartments due to lack of public housing and the city being controlled by a small number of super rich businessmen.
Where else in the world,outside of third world banana republics,could father and son be able to own the city/country's number 1 and number 2 telecom companies without being referred and blocked by independent regulatory commissions?
Still,it is a fantastic city to work in,pay 15% tax and go to Thailand for weekends aways!