Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong?

Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong?

Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:26 pm
Banned

asiaexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong?

I tired some uk based vpn before when I log in BBC iPlayer, they stop and play every 10 seconds , basically cant work , i think its because they are in uk and server is far from my home?who can show me a good way?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch BBC iPlayer in Hong Kong?

Basically you are trying to sip a big gulp through a very small series of straws. You have the bandwidth limitations of your home connection, the VPN service, and the underlying connectivity between Hong Kong and the UK. If any of these are too small or overcrowded, you are going to get some buffering issues.

I use and like Overplay.net because they have a feature called 'SmartDNS'. This is a setting you put in your networking preferences that allows some bits of the traffic (i.e. the bits that require a UK-IP address) to go through the VPN and the other bits, such as the video transfer itself, to come through the local connection instead of the VPN. This leads to some pretty fast downloads of BBC iPlayer content and minimal buffering issues (significantly reduced, but not totally eliminated).

Others have recommend http://strongvpn.com as a pretty popular and well supported VPN service.

Another option is the 'dark side' of the net and torrents. Try something like vuze.com
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:41 am
Banned

GloriaL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi asiaexpat, you can try UKTVHK (just google search it) , there are some other vpn providers but they all have servers overseas which make the network slow. (SNIP)seems to have a nice infrastructure here in Hong Kong with high-speed connection. I have used it for a few months to watch BBC iPlayer, ITVplayer, Hulu and Channel 4, the experiences have been very good so far. They offer Free Trial and probably you can give it a trial to see if it also works well for your home.: )

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 8th 2013 at 11:46 am.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I just use expat shield. It's free. Just google and download.

Then log in to BBC iPlayer.
OR ITV Player.

No Problems.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Basically you are trying to sip a big gulp through a very small series of straws. You have the bandwidth limitations of your home connection, the VPN service, and the underlying connectivity between Hong Kong and the UK. If any of these are too small or overcrowded, you are going to get some buffering issues.

I use and like Overplay.net because they have a feature called 'SmartDNS'. This is a setting you put in your networking preferences that allows some bits of the traffic (i.e. the bits that require a UK-IP address) to go through the VPN and the other bits, such as the video transfer itself, to come through the local connection instead of the VPN. This leads to some pretty fast downloads of BBC iPlayer content and minimal buffering issues (significantly reduced, but not totally eliminated).

Others have recommend http://strongvpn.com as a pretty popular and well supported VPN service.

Another option is the 'dark side' of the net and torrents. Try something like vuze.com
Thanks,penguinsix,Yesterday evening I tried to use the method of you watching a movie on the BBC, slightly has a point card. And I joined the (SNIP) com suggested by Glorial, it works quite well for me, most of the time was smooth and really enjoy watching the BBC Top Gear with my boy friend and the Mr Selfridge on ITV. Thanks all the way.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 8th 2013 at 11:46 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by GloriaL
Hi asiaexpat, you can try (SNIP) (just google search it) , there are some other vpn providers but they all have servers overseas which make the network slow. (SNIP) seems to have a nice infrastructure here in Hong Kong with high-speed connection. I have used it for a few months to watch BBC iPlayer, ITVplayer, Hulu and Channel 4, the experiences have been very good so far. They offer Free Trial and probably you can give it a trial to see if it also works well for your home.: )
Thanks, Glorial,(SNIP) you suggested, it works quite well for me, most of the time was smooth and really enjoy watching the BBC Top Gear with my boy friend and the Mr Selfridge on ITV. It's really cool. What do you like to watch?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 8th 2013 at 11:48 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ex reg
I just use expat shield. It's free. Just google and download.

Then log in to BBC iPlayer.
OR ITV Player.

No Problems.
Thanks,ex reg,I find (SNIP) is quiet good for me.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 8th 2013 at 11:47 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you both would because you and Glorial are the same person, Bi now!