Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

UK Visa HELP - HKDI Passport??

UK Visa HELP - HKDI Passport??

Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:34 am
Just Joined

jessejesseUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK Visa HELP - HKDI Passport??

I am a UK expat in Shenzhen. I want my Chinese girlfriend to visit the UK with me for Christmas this year, meet the family etc etc and enjoy a nice winter break together.

The only problem is she holds a Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes (known as the HKDI passport). It is a passport for those who are no longer entitled to the PRC passport, or the HKSAR national passport yet are entitled to permanent residency in Hong Kong and right to work.

My question is what are the entry requirements for the most basic visitors UK visa using the HKDI?

Both of us have searched extensively on the internet for precisely what this means for obtaining UK visa with the HKDI, a clear answer appearing frustratingly absent from both official government websites (such as both gov.uk and gov.hk) and forums in both chinese and english languages.

Wikipedia states that many countries do not grant the same visa-free circumstances as the HKSAR enjoys. OK, fine. But which countries? Also, it appears that some countries don't accept it AT ALL. OK... still I have seen no list or any helpful specifics.

Furthermore, Britain and Hong Kong enjoy a special relationship regarding immigration and visas. Even if the whole world rejected the HKDI passport, it is still possible the situation is entirely different for Britain. But I can't find the answer anywhere, accept one reference on the gov.uk website that seems to confirm the UK recognises the HKDI as a passport for visa purposes yet then never mentions it again.

"ECB8.10 Hong Kong travel documents
10.1 ECB8.10.1 Since July 1998 there have been four different types of Hong Kong travel documents:
the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport; (ECB8.10.2)
the British National (Overseas) passport; (ECB8.10.3)
the British Overseas Citizen passport; (ECB8.10.4)
the Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes. (ECB8.10.5)"

(from https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ntry-clearance)

I could call the gov.uk helpline, but it charges £1.50 per minute ontop of your standard rate! And with no guarantee they can give me the answer.

If anyone has any information, even small clues or hints that could help me find a clearer answer, id be so grateful!

Thank you
Jesse
Old Jun 29th 2016, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Visa HELP - HKDI Passport??

Jesse

Holders of the Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes requires to apply for a British visa to visit the UK. Please see link below (in Chinese) -

英國簽證及入境須知 - 旅遊服務-永安旅遊

UK visa application centre in Hong Kong -

UK Visa Information - Hong Kong - VFS Global Hong Kong
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:36 am
Just Joined

EfefesSZ is an unknown quantity at this point

As HKG3 states:

- HKDI requires a visa to travel to the UK (and pretty much all other countries you can think of)
- Make sure you prepare all the required documents (as per the link in HKG3's reply), better to take more than less
- Fill in all the information on-line and make an appointment to submit in person

It's a pretty straightforward process, done it twice with my partner (with a HKDI) and no issues whatsoever. Just make sure you have enough time left before you travel which should be no issue given it's for xmas.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

PR Chinese citizens are visa nationals meaning they will always require a visa in advance of travelling to the UK. The only exceptions are those who hold HKSAR passports and Macau SAR passports.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...-visitor-rules