Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

UK Passport holder in HongKong - need a Chinese visa

UK Passport holder in HongKong - need a Chinese visa

Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Passport holder in HongKong - need a Chinese visa

Hi all,

I have used the search facility, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm in Hong Kong for a couple of days, it's been arranged that I need to go to Shanghi early next month - I've asked 2 sets of people here about getting a Chinese visa whilst I'm in Hong Kong - I've been given different answers.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me: (bearing in mind, I have a UK passport)

Can I get a Chinese visa with a 24 hour turnaround?
How much will it cost (a cost I was given was 3,300hkd! for a multiple trip visa)?

Last year when I went to China, I stopped off in Bangkok and got a visa the same day, for a fraction of 3,300hkd!

Many thanks.
Mark.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Passport holder in HongKong - need a Chinese visa

Of course you can get Chinese visas in HK. Virtually any travel agent can arrange it. The cost varies from one place to another. You need one photo and normal turn around is 2 days. For a one day turn around you pay more,
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

There was a thread on this a few months ago where opinion was divided about whether it is necessary to apply for a China visa in your home country before arriving in HK or whether it is possible to get a visa here in HK. My view was (is) that a travel agent is the best way to go and it is doable as I believe agents have special connections at the visa office. Others were more sceptical about this maintaining either that it was not possible at all or that it depended on who you dealt with at the visa office when applying in person. Just a bit of background for you.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

I've now found that thread. Interesting. I was in HK in late 2002 and 2003 and both times went to China and got the visa in Wanchai. Looks like things have changed since then. Peculiar to say the least. I've been to many places and often get a visa in the adjacent country to where I'm going.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

On paper, get it in your country of residence.

In practice, some have gotten them while visiting HK, either by going to Wanchai or using an agent. Others have been turned away. Reports of both results continue on HK expat boards every month.

This is like so many laws in China. There is what is the rule (get it in home country) and what actually occurs. If this an important trip, get it sorted before you go. If you won't be that plussed if you get denied, feel free to try Wanchai.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the relies guys - In the end I didn't do it, I'm leaving tonight for Dubai. I'll just travel via Bangkok and have a night there
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by winston_1
Of course you can get Chinese visas in HK. Virtually any travel agent can arrange it. The cost varies from one place to another. You need one photo and normal turn around is 2 days. For a one day turn around you pay more,
Hi Winston,

Have you ever got a Chinese visa in HK?
I guess not.

If a UK resident wants to get a Chinese visa in HK, then you might be a long time waiting.

Not impossible for some, but for I guess 90% then it's not going to happen.
You would be better asking in Vietnam, Thailand or some where, but the chances of you getting one in HK are very slim indeed.

However, I hope you are the lucky, and one of the "face fits, smile nice " 10%,
Hope you are able to report back here and tell us all how you managed it.

Good luck,

Vette
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi Winston,

Have you ever got a Chinese visa in HK?
I guess not.
YES. If you fully read the thread you would not need to ask. See my post number 4.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

YES. If you fully read the thread you would not need to ask. See my post number 4.
Hi Winston,

Good point. However

Your post number 4, does not say you got the visa in HK. You got it in Thailand.

Every man and his dog, knows you can get it in Wanchai in Thailand, but that was not your initial question.

Your initial question was "Can I get the Chinese visa in HK", to which the answer is no.

Any way, the good thing is that you got a Chinese visa, and thats the main thing.
As an aside, where did you go, and what did you see in China?

Vette
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Vette, Wanchai is in Hong Kong and is where the official China visa office is located.

If there is a place in Thailand also called Wanchai I don't know of it.

My trips to China were to visit friends who were living in Nanning at the time and were only 4 days long. Just a short flight from HK the first time and Shenzen the second time.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Vette, Wanchai is in Hong Kong and is where the official China visa office is located.

If there is a place in Thailand also called Wanchai I don't know of it.

My trips to China were to visit friends who were living in Nanning at the time and were only 4 days long. Just a short flight from HK the first time and Shenzen the second time.
Hello Winston,

Sorry for my confusion.

I was under the thought Wenchai was in northern Thailand.
My mistake.
Hope you had a great time in China.

Vette