Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Thinking of teaching in China for summer

Thinking of teaching in China for summer

Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Emmy8580 will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking of teaching in China for summer

I am trying to look for a summer job after I leave Spain at the end of May. I was considering doing some summer teaching in another country (as I would like to teach English as a foreign language in other countries) and Asia has been a particular place of interest. I thought of doing this programme (http://www.allianceabroad.com/ob/teach/china_01.htm). However, I have also been trying to check out site reviews to see if it is a reliable programme and have had no success. Does anybody know about this programme? Is it any good? And if it isn't, are there better summer programmes that anybody could recommend me (doesn't necessarily have to be China but I am interested in Asian cultures)?

I am an undergraduate and do not have a TEFL qualification, but I am currently a language assisstant at a secondary school in Spain so I do have some teaching experience. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of teaching in China for summer

Hi there,

Have you looked into the JET Programme? It's a one-year contract to teach in Japan (with the option for 2 x 1-year extensions).

I did it for a year from 1999-2000 and it's a very well run programme. At the time, all you needed was an undergrad degree (not TEFL cert) and to be a native English speaker. Not sure if it's changed now.

Just wanted to share that option. Good luck to you - it's a great job and a great way to see more of the world.

Foxy
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I need to have a Bachelor's degree which I won't get until 2010. That, and I am only able to go to Asia during the summer because I have to do some exams in January next year. It would be a great idea otherwise. It might be a job to consider in the future, though.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Oh, I see. JET won't work this time, then.

But good luck to you - there's got to be something you can find for a summer.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

onemorething is an unknown quantity at this point

How about not China? Look here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586123
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Em
my dear wife went to teach English in China last year and it was a complete disaster (notwithstanding the earthquakes that happened whilst she was there as that was the least of her worries). The school messed her about with flights that she paid for herself in the end, lousy accomodation that she had to share with a male teacher barely out of puberty and a whole heap of broken promises
Whilst the thought may be a good one, the reality can be a real bummer. Personal thoughts are that unless you can speak or email with teachers at the school you are going to, to confirm its ok, then best leave it well alone.

On the plus side my mrs had the time of her life teaching in Abu Dhabi afterwards and couldnt praise the school enough so be careful hey
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Well, I am very sorry about your wife's experience. On the other hand, my brother is in China at the moment and he is having a great time.

I know that some people can rip you off - which is why I thought I'd ask on this forum if anybody knew a company I could trust. I don't just want to apply to any old school or company.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Malancaiwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been in China for nearly 2 years now and the best advice I can give you is to double check on any school willing to hire you.

From my experience, I can tell you that english teachers are HIGHLY demanded .... really.
Chinese people really have a strong interest into foreigners. If you go there, be prepared to be looked at like you're an alien or an animal in a zoo.

I know this school for foreing languages teaching nearly all over China:
http://www.onlyedu.net/ (website in chinese though) I'm a teacher there (in a city called Zhangjiagang, not too interesting but very close to Shanghai, Suzhou, ...) and my boss is constantly asking me for help to find other teachers. If you're interested I can give you her contact.

If you're looking for something more in the north part of China (south is going to be very hot very soon) check this website:
http://www.thebeijinger.com/
It's made by foreigners, to find job in Beijing. Again, english teachers are in great demand.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:47 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Hi there,

Have you looked into the JET Programme? It's a one-year contract to teach in Japan (with the option for 2 x 1-year extensions).

I did it for a year from 1999-2000 and it's a very well run programme. At the time, all you needed was an undergrad degree (not TEFL cert) and to be a native English speaker. Not sure if it's changed now.

Just wanted to share that option. Good luck to you - it's a great job and a great way to see more of the world.

Foxy
The strong Japanese Yen would buy lots of Yuan, and you can travel in China cheaply afterwards.

And China pays too little, with the poor food that they have loaded with MSG. Weijin buyao. The way the Chinese but into line at the Shanghai railroad station like a pack of animals was crazy. You go to Hong Kong, and they actually wait in line like gentlemen. I think that Singaporean administration should go to China and bring hygene upon their nation that is about to become the next leader in the world stage.

They can learn to be good civilized people. I didn't like how they spit inside the shopping malls in China. At the Shanghai railroad station, one fellow even used his plastic train card and brushed his tongue to scrape off the plaque and inserted it into the slot.

When I went on the long train ride to Chengdu from Shanghai, a chinese man even wiped his bum on his own bed sheets after returning from the toilet due to having no toilet paper with him. What was funny is that he did it without shame and felt really normal about it.

And no one seemed to care, except me.