Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Teaching in China - help please

Teaching in China - help please

Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

London_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in China - help please

Originally Posted by cathyg
China's Deportation Of Foreign Expat Teachers Soars In 2014 - China Business Central - Open Salon

ESL Jobs Forum - View topic - 57 Foreign Teachers In China Being Deported - Visa Issues

Hiring Standards For Foreigners Get Tougher; Five Years' Experience Needed for Teachers | the Beijinger

You will note that this started as a crackdown on teachers teaching illegally either with the wrong visa or fake qualifications. in the case i am talking about all the teachers had the correct qualifications and visa's however they were still detained in appalling conditions and then deported. We think there is now a police team in Beijing tasked with detaining teachers, fining them and deporting them.
I have nothing to gain from telling this to you other than not wanting people to go through what we have just experienced.
Unfortunately most of the information found in the article via Open Salon is Bull Shit.

I have been in contact with a few teachers whom the article is referring to, and they have confirmed that all this is BS! They have not been arrested by the PSB and are still in their full time teaching positions.

Anyone seeking a teaching gig in China should do their homework first!
Why would you need a agent to assist you in find a teaching job?
Anyone sending copies of their passport and supporting documents to some person whom they have never met is just plain stupid.

Also some foreign teachers are hyping up this matter in order to eliminate the competition and inflate their fees!

You just have to view some of the profiles via LinkedIn ( China Groups / China ESL teaching groups) to see for yourself that most people's profiles are BS (More holes than a tea bag)

I would recommend that any one seeking to teach / work in China should never use a recruiter! Why on earth should they steal 30-50% of your salary for doing nothing!

Thats my 5 cents worth everybody
Old Nov 30th 2014, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Asia teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Teaching in China.
For all the horror stories we hear, we never get to hear the successes, so here are my opinion based, off the cuff thoughts, on teaching in China. Everyone has different experiences and views of their time here; these are simply my subjective opinions.

I started teaching in Thailand in 2009 and moved to my present job in late 2011. Both Thailand and China are desperate for foreign native English (TEFL) and subject teachers. Thailand because many have already left due to the low salaries and complicated visa regulations and China because of the sheer numbers involved in learning English. The English language is the business language of the world, hence its popularity?

What to expect (and warnings)
The first thing to understand is that China is not Europe. The government will not hold your hand, feed you, clothe you and provide you with human rights. It’s not for everyone and a degree of self-reliance in addition to leaving political correctness behind you is needed. There isn’t a McDonalds on every street corner and no Citizen’s Advice Bureau either.
You are a guest in China and any ‘rights’ you have are courtesy of the Public Security Bureau (PSB). You can and will be removed at any time, with no appeal, if your behaviour isn’t up to the required standard. Appearance is everything and outside Europe the world remains conservative; visible tattoos, green hair or addictions are seen as signs of criminality, or mental illness.

What’s required
The websites used by the majority of teachers for employment are Ajarn.com | Teaching English in Thailand in Thailand and Serious Teachers - Jobs - Courses in China. For China specifically, you will need to be in good health with a verifiable degree in anything and evidence of a clean criminal record. A TEFL certificate will help as will previous experience. Your salary will depend on the level of your degree (Degree, Masters or Ph.D.) and the amount of experience you have.

Tips - Buyer beware!
• Yes, there are plenty of scammers out there. Never pay a recruiter anything and a reputable recruiter would never ask.

• If the offer sounds too good to be true, it’s probably a scam. Before you sign any contract, always ask to be put in touch with teachers already working for that recruiter and ask questions.

• Try to avoid private language ‘schools’ and stick to government ones, making sure their contracts include SAFEA regulations for foreigners.

• Always work with the correct visa, if you’re not registered with the Foreign Affairs Department (Blue book, Foreign Expert Certificate), you’re working illegally, no matter what the recruiter tells you.

<moderator snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 30th 2014 at 7:59 pm. Reason: Probably a very helpful article but it does advertise you. Please read rule 9 . Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Asia teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, thank you Bevs, I see the point now. I write political essays and educational teaching supplements, but I’ve stripped it down to basics, no identifiers or even references.

I personally think it’s important to dispel myths. People are usually deported for a reason; they might personally think it unfair, but there’s always an underlying reason. In much the same way as in the west, where certain words or behaviour are banned, it’s the same elsewhere. That might not sit well with a western concept of discrimination and fairness, but that’s the way it is.

Most recruiting is also done by recruiters because they usually have a western within their ranks, or at least people whose grasp of English is near perfect, whereas schools themselves usually don’t. My salary is paid for by the government and I personally don’t care what my company is paid for my placement and services, as long as I get my agreed salary.

The reason for this link is that these are the sort of conditions people should be looking for in a contract if they’re serious and it perhaps helps to dispel the mystery surrounding working in China and Asia generally.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxN...ew?usp=sharing
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks london dragon and Asia teacher for the helpful information. My understanding of our experience is to certainly avoid recruiters and deal direct with the schools who should also be the ones to issue your visa.
Unfortunately I have had to listen to the first hand account of treatment in a chinese detention centre and believe me you would not want anyone to go through what our family member has experienced.
Most people who want to teach English in China do it with the best of intentions and will do their utmost to ensure they meet the rules. However IMO it is very risky, please be careful...
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:38 am
Just Joined

zhanglulux is an unknown quantity at this point

indeed, there are some cheats in China, especially big cities. The better you find the professional Job hunters... Good luck to you.

BTW, I am in Hangzhou. If you have anything i can do, let me know.