Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Student visa needed for single semester?

Student visa needed for single semester?

Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:26 am
Just Joined

avchd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student visa needed for single semester?

I am due to study at the University of Hong Kong for the 2014 January-June semester. I'm a British Citizen and I was under the illusion that as British nationals can stay in Hong Kong for up to six months I wouldn't require a study visa. Is this true or will I have to apply even though my stay will be under six months?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student visa needed for single semester?

Its certainly true that as a British Citizen you will geta chop that says you are allowed to remainin HK for 6 months but that you cannot work. I can't see that there would be any restriction on you studying here, although it would be as well to check on the Hong Kong Immigation web site which is quite informative or even just give them a ring.

If you needed to stay beyond 6 months all you would have to do is take a 1hr ferry trip to Macau for the weekend (or even just the day) and you will then be permitted to stay in HK for a further 6 months.