Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Should I make the leap to HK?

Should I make the leap to HK?

Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

salsasky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I make the leap to HK?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am wondering if someone could please give me some advice.
I've just been offered a really good job, still with the same company as I currently work for in London (a bank) in Hong Kong and they want me to start early next year. They have said they (the company) will sort out all my visa requirements etc. but the job is on a local contract not expat. However, the salary seems quite competitive.
The things that are making me apprehensive about accepting this role are mainly:
1) I've just recently broken up with my partner, so would be doing the move alone. Is it hard to get to know people in Hong Kong?

2) I love Asia and have travelled quite extensively, but never to Hong Kong so am not entirely sure where to live - I would be working in Central and from the research I've done I'm thinking maybe Mid Levels (I want to be somewhere where there are a lot of other ex pats ideally)? I would probably want a small 2 bedroom apartment and am wondering if this would be an affordable area (I don't want to spend every penny I earn on rent, as want to ensure I can actually be out doing things too!), budget probably approx. 20-25k.

Finally, any general advice to help me make the decision would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!!

Salsa.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I make the leap to HK?

Hi there. Just to say to the forum. Hopefully some HK residents will be along soon to advise you.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 2:11 am
Just Joined

MarkyH is an unknown quantity at this point

HK is a bit like Marmite. ya either love it or hate it. I love it..

If you work in Central then Mid Levels is very convenient but expensive and if you willing to travel and hr you can get a very nice 2 bedroom place out in Sai Kung for around 12-15k a month, there are ALOT of westerners there and very open space and nice little town vibe! about a 150 dollar cab ride to go home after a late night, try to learn a bit of cantonese if you can, it will help alot to open a few social doors and definitely advisable to learn the chinese names of the places you go regularly, work, home etc.. most taxi drivers speak or understand the road names in english but a little cantonese will help alot more.

try

www.squarefoot.com.hk

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 11:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I've only visited HK but I would definitely take up an opportunity to move there. A female friend of mine moved out there last year and it didn't take long for her to build up a network of friends and find herself a HK boyfriend. She's having a whale of a time if her Facebook feed is anything to go by.

I do know that property prices are going through the roof at the moment that would be worth investigating before you make a decision.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:12 am
Just Joined

multivitamins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sal,

I was assigned in HK for more than 6 months and it was a great experience! The local HK people are very organized and friendly. I think it will not be a problem for an expat to live there. I lived in a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment in WanChai with a friend. Our monthly rent was USD1,500 which includes water and electricity.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:28 am
Just Joined

multivitamins is an unknown quantity at this point

more info:

Transportation - this will not be a problem. They have MTR, taxi, bus and tram to take you anywhere you like. Having a personal car in HK is luxury... and gasoline is like gold.

Shopping - One of the best attraction of HK!! Tax Free! Just remember to stay out of the stores with "No Tax" and "Tax Free" signs (usually owned by chinese from China).

Crime rate - Very low crime rate.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

As a single guy you will have a blast here in Hong Kong. Just get yourself here and get stuck in !!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 4:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As a single guy with a decent income, you'll have quite a bit of fun in Hong Kong. There is certainly an expat / single lifestyle you can get into, especially if you are in finance and have the resources.

While there are still some on expat packages, they are fewer and fewer. Still, if there is a guy in your office your age, your experience, doing the same thing but he is getting a package and you are not there might be some 'issues' you might have with the employer. You'll find "keeping up with the Jones" can be very difficult in the world of high finance with people living a jet set lifestyle (often well beyond their means).

As for where to live and whatnot, basically it depends on "how" you want to live. If you want essentially the same standard of living, from housing size, quality, western imported foods, decent restaurants, you are going to pay more than you would where you are currently living. If you are will to live a bit further out, shop around for cheaper (local) items, eat a bit more frugally, you can get by quite easily. Really how long is a piece of string. Take a look at gohome.com.hk or squarefoot.com.hk for housing prices, and look at sites like wellcome.com.hk or parknshop.com for food prices.

So is it worth it? I guess it comes down to your long term life and career plans. Is this giving you the experience you need to get to the next level, or is this last level? Are you looking at this to build up your resume for your next jump, or are you content to make Hong Kong your home? Is this just another passport stamp on some wanderlust? I think your long term plans for life, the universe and everything and how this fits into those plans are probably the best answer.