Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Selling UK shares, cert form from HK

Selling UK shares, cert form from HK

Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:29 am
Just Joined

wendy08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling UK shares, cert form from HK

Hi, I saw a thread that was useful but the company Beaufort Securities has closed :-(
Anyone know another company I can use to sell UK shares, cert form in the UK while I am based in HK?
It seems quite difficult :-(
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:30 am
Just Joined

rob46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling UK shares, cert form from HK

Hi Wendy
I'm trying to sell UK shares from Australia.
Have spoken to the issuers themselves in the UK (HSBC) and they said I had to be be a UK resident. They suggested I contact their Registrar (Computershare) but they said exactly the same. Seems the paper based certificates are a bit of a challenge too !!
I never thought it was going to be this difficult !! Let's know if you have any success.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in a similar situation. However, the online registrars' websites offer online selling.
Not sure if Computershare still operates as some of our shareholdings changed to Capita and now Link. The problem is if you don't have a UK bank a/c to send the money to. Not even EU a/c is accepted. Selling is possible but where does the money go to?

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Mar 17th 2018 at 8:16 am.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:13 am
Just Joined

wendy08 is an unknown quantity at this point

My registrar is Equiniti and they said they can't sell them for me :-(
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

If you are an expat you are cream crackered. i had same issue had to return to Uk and manualy set up a brokers account after giving my passport and copy of lease address, even if i did not move in !!

Uk has made a very important interpretation that only Uk residents can have access to on line facilities, no matter who you go through. Very much a growing trend, even though there is no basis in law for this imposition

Once I had all my shares cashed in I opened on line with interactive brokers to hold/trade my investments in GBP. They had no problems in covering due diligence!!and very thorough it was too.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:14 am
Just Joined

rob46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wendy
Yeah ... the UK Registrars can't sell them !!
I did finally find a company in Australia ... I phoned them, and they were very helpful ... I can't post their web address, but you should be able to look them up online ...
The company is ... Burrell stockbroking and are in Brisbane and a few other cities in Aus.
Hope this helps !!
cheers ...
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:41 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

If you can organise a uk residence and bank ac you can simply open a share dealing a/c with someone like iii or charles stanley direct, they for free will dematerialise any currently valid paper certificates you hold - into your account. The issue is old company stuff that the registrars have to trace etc. Online share dealing then can be done online from anywhere [as i do.]

Remember - the forms are uk stock market paper, i would think a non uk broker would charge for trying to handle them.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wendy08
My registrar is Equiniti and they said they can't sell them for me :-(
We have some shares handled by Equinity. Last year when we were in EU they confirmed we could sell online. Now we will spend our next holiday in EU to be able to deal with the sale of the shares. Biggest issue is bank account.