Salary and housing

Old Oct 18th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Bexbax37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary and housing

Hi,

I'm hoping to move to Hong Kong next summer. I'm currently looking at a school in the English Schools Foundation. Their salary ranges from 400-800k a year depending upon experience. They also give 8k a month for accommodation.

I would imagine I'll be at the higher end pay scale. Taking tax into consideration can anyone advise that once I have my gross pay would this salary allow me to rent a room and live comfortably in Hong Kong?

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary and housing

Originally Posted by Bexbax37
Hi,

I'm hoping to move to Hong Kong next summer. I'm currently looking at a school in the English Schools Foundation. Their salary ranges from 400-800k a year depending upon experience. They also give 8k a month for accommodation.

I would imagine I'll be at the higher end pay scale. Taking tax into consideration can anyone advise that once I have my gross pay would this salary allow me to rent a room and live comfortably in Hong Kong?

Thanks
An annual salary of HK$400k translate into a monthly salary of about HK$33k. This is a very comfortable level for a single person. The HK$8k per month in accommodation allowance also helps.

Please have a look at the link below regarding Hong Kong's tax rate -

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxe...ariesrates.htm

In Hong Kong, you are paid gross and the government will demand its share at the end of the financial year - so don't spent every penny of your wage as you will need money to pay your income tax.

I would also suggest you to open a Hong Kong bank account with your local HSBC. This will save you a lot of trouble when you move to Hong Kong.