Questions about Shanghai

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:08 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Shanghai

Well done Umpatan for defending yourself!

For the life of me, I could not see a hint of racism in either of your posts. God help us when admitting to difficulty with a foreign language or stating a dislike of certain aspects of the country's cuisine is considered racist!

To be honest, I thought the criticising OP's post had hints of a rant to it, and had to keep referring back to your posts to see where all the anger was coming from?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:47 pm
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnny five
Well done Umpatan for defending yourself!

For the life of me, I could not see a hint of racism in either of your posts. God help us when admitting to difficulty with a foreign language or stating a dislike of certain aspects of the country's cuisine is considered racist!

To be honest, I thought the criticising OP's post had hints of a rant to it, and had to keep referring back to your posts to see where all the anger was coming from?
Thank you very much. We should be forgiven for not being able to wrap our heads around learning those difficult Chinese characters. I know that it won't be something I will be learning to do in my life, and that should be okay. I do hear the Japanese and the Chinese learning each other's language without much difficulty, since they are raised to read and think in pictographical manner. We however, have been raised on the phonetic system, and our minds do not operate on that level. Well at least mine doesn't. And the some of the food in China is actually toxic, and we have proof of this being mentioned often via news.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone; just dropping in from another forum.

Umpatan, you are right about the Japanese and Chinese similarities. Japanese kanji takes a lot of the Chinese characters. So, even though they may each pronounce a kanji differently, it can often have the same meaning.

I lived in Japan for a year and picked up very little kanji. It's very difficult and like you say, based on memorization and not phonetics. We westerners are just not accustomed to learning language in that way - even with our secondary and tertiary languages, they usually use a Roman alphabet, so we could always sound out the words, even if we don't know what they mean.

Good on you for doing so well in so many languages.
Fox
Old Apr 17th 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

backtoblighty is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah yeah, all right..... but i think we're getting a bit off thread for this 'british' expat site lol....

but anyways, seriously... i just meant you cant slag off an 'entire cities' food (maybe i was a bit harsh calling u racist... maybe just a bit arogant) just after a few experiences with cheapo food from scanky places.... and please tell me 'why' the heck did u go to 'that' place???? thats just asking for trouble! lol

There are hundreds of nice restaurants in shanghai, chinese owned or foreign owned

if you stay there a long time, then you get to know the nice and bad places..... but i'm guessing your just a traveller or business guy who stayed there, & in other countries for a few months each time (i presume that as you didnt learn street signs, and learnt the basics of survival language)

anyways, if you go back there, just hope you eat at a nice place next time

getting back on Topic, hope the lady and her hubbie got the job in Shangers

End of thread

Last edited by backtoblighty; Apr 17th 2009 at 3:18 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 8:37 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkstaruk
yeah yeah, all right..... but i think we're getting a bit off thread for this 'british' expat site lol....

but anyways, seriously... i just meant you cant slag off an 'entire cities' food (maybe i was a bit harsh calling u racist... maybe just a bit arogant) just after a few experiences with cheapo food from scanky places.... and please tell me 'why' the heck did u go to 'that' place???? thats just asking for trouble! lol

There are hundreds of nice restaurants in shanghai, chinese owned or foreign owned

if you stay there a long time, then you get to know the nice and bad places..... but i'm guessing your just a traveller or business guy who stayed there, & in other countries for a few months each time (i presume that as you didnt learn street signs, and learnt the basics of survival language)

anyways, if you go back there, just hope you eat at a nice place next time

getting back on Topic, hope the lady and her hubbie got the job in Shangers

End of thread

For someone with only 7 posts, spread over 16 months, you are pretty critical of others aren't you?

So you grudgingly accept the OP is not a racist, but now he is "arogant"(sic)

Suggest you take a long look at yourself, and ask if someone with so little time on the forum closing their post with "End of thread" is maybe a little arrogant themselves?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:10 am
Just Joined

i am critical of people who slag off a cities food, yes...

end of thread as there's nothing more to say

but obviously u've got lots more to say, and obviously you spend ur life writing & waring on internet forums (391 posts is not something to boast about wee johnny lad)

i suggest you take a deep breath, and go outside into the fresh air

Last edited by backtoblighty; Apr 18th 2009 at 11:28 am.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:53 pm
Banned

i am critical of people who slag off a cities food, yes...
You appear to be critical of most things, and in a rude manner....
end of thread as there's nothing more to say
Maybe not by you, but others may wish to? Arrogance!
but obviously u've got lots more to say, and obviously you spend ur life writing & waring on internet forums
A lot of "obviously's", your ability to see what others cannot is admirable, such as racism and arrogance in perfectly harmless posts. Considering how much fuss you make about others not learning foreign languages, your grasp of your own language, and spelling, leaves a lot to be desired. Your assumption that you know anything about me is typical of your combatative approach.
(391 posts is not something to boast about wee johnny lad)
Boast? Didn't even mention it. So you find 2 posts a day excessive? (Like I care)

I have noticed in the short time that I have been watching the Far East forum that it attracts a few people with your bad attitude. Must be the effect that living in that area has on certain personality types maybe?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:19 am
Just Joined

you need more sleep

Last edited by backtoblighty; Apr 20th 2009 at 11:23 am.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

Hey - we had some great news! We are coming to China in August but to Nanjing - not to Shanghai as previously posted. I guess I will now start another thread about going to Nanjing. Thanks for your answers and the discussion about Shanghai.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

queensdown is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep trying with Shanghai, or Beijing or Hong Kong for that matter. Food's great if you aim between the international hotels (bland) and the 3 yuan backpacker joints (can be ok but a bit of a gamble).
Old May 29th 2009, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

queensdown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussieoverseas
Hey - we had some great news! We are coming to China in August but to Nanjing - not to Shanghai as previously posted. I guess I will now start another thread about going to Nanjing. Thanks for your answers and the discussion about Shanghai.
And Nanjing's not bad
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:33 pm
Banned

RoamingExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Shanghai has a lot of Expats, in one district I saw so many so I don't think it will be a problem.

Here is an Expat Shanghai site too http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index.p...rum&file=index