Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Interesting photos of old Kowloon Walled City

Interesting photos of old Kowloon Walled City

Old May 22nd 2016, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting photos of old Kowloon Walled City

The photographs in the following article may be of interest to anyone who lives (or used to live) in Hong Kong:

Kowloon Walled City was blighted by overcrowding, poverty and crime | Daily Mail Online
Old May 22nd 2016, 9:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting photos of old Kowloon Walled City

That's really cool, thanks for sharing!
Old May 27th 2016, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

That brings back a few memories...I served in the Royal Hong Kong Police in the 70s, and was stationed at CID Kowloon City which 'covered' the Walled City. I recall a murder case - Triad related - there quite well, but it all seems a long time ago now.

A couple of the photographs show aircraft approaching the old Kaitak airport over the Walled City. The landings were pretty dramatic because the runway stuck out into the harbour, and the planes used to come in very low. Anyone who flew into Hong Kong in those days will remember this, and there was an urban legend about a couple of buildings having tyre marks on their roofs, but I never had a chance to check that out!
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, I was in HK in the late 70's and 80's - I remember flying over that area and being able to see into people's rooms! If you happened to be shopping around there, you could look up and count the rivets on the plane, lol. Remember how they used to have a 'turning' point where the chequered area was?

Happy days...

Edited to add, nice article on 'the most dangerous airport in the world' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...years-ago.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 22nd 2016 at 3:31 am.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 4:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Remember how they used to have a 'turning' point where the chequered area was?
Me and him have seen that way back when .
Old Oct 11th 2016, 4:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bob
That's really cool, thanks for sharing!
I agree.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, I was in HK in the late 70's and 80's - I remember flying over that area and being able to see into people's rooms! If you happened to be shopping around there, you could look up and count the rivets on the plane, lol. Remember how they used to have a 'turning' point where the chequered area was?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5gYENf3Zyho/0.jpg

Happy days...

Edited to add, nice article on 'the most dangerous airport in the world' Incredible pictures of airplane near misses show EXACTLY why the world's most dangerous airport in Hong Kong was shut down 15 years ago | Daily Mail Online
Gosh, what memories, yes! I briefly lived in Kowloon Tong: you were probably looking into my rooms!
Old Oct 28th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Kowloon Tong too, in Ede Road.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
My former husband was a teacher at Beacon Hill School in Ede Road - I knew it well!

Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My former husband was a teacher at Beacon Hill School in Ede Road - I knew it well!

Former Broadcast Drive dweller here .
Old Oct 30th 2016, 9:51 pm
Banned

I lived up in the New Territories - Sha Tin; first at Harmony Lodge and then at Lok Yuen Path. My son went to kindergarten at Kowloon Tsai Military (married quarters), he used to get a minibus there every day.. I can still remember being the 'Mum on duty' on the bus and all these little 3 year olds shouting "NIGHT TIME" when we went through the Lion Rock Tunnel!

When I first moved to Tai Wai there were still cows roaming freely - and being one of the first "Gwailo" families in the area, I regularly got spat at.

Does anyone remember the Sha Tin Seafood Restaurant, located off the road leading out of Lion Rock Tunnel going towards Sha Tin? What about the out-door Indonesian (Sha Tin Inn?) situated on the side of the road going out of Tai Wai (Tai Po Road?) I'm going back a bit, lol.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Does anyone remember the Sha Tin Seafood Restaurant, located off the road leading out of Lion Rock Tunnel going towards Sha Tin? What about the out-door Indonesian (Sha Tin Inn?) situated on the side of the road going out of Tai Wai (Tai Po Road?) I'm going back a bit, lol.
Doesn't really ring a bell, but I remember the Better 'Ole at Fanling very well. OK, some of the memories are a bit hazy...
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 8:40 am
Banned

Doesn't really ring a bell, but I remember the Better 'Ole at Fanling very well. OK, some of the memories are a bit hazy...
Perhaps you remember 'Bottoms Up!' lol.

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lol! I do, in a not-so-fond, having to go haul a then-inlaw out of it on occasion, way...
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmm, yes. I do remember it and, let's just say, a few other bars in the old Tsim Sha Tsui and Wanchai...