Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Possible job move to Guangzhou

Possible job move to Guangzhou

Old Sep 16th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

peredonov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible job move to Guangzhou

There is a specific vacancy (equivalent to a full professorship) at a university in Guangzhou that I may apply for. It will offer something like 350,000 RMB per year before taxes, and I am told that this will be something like 20,000 RMB per month after taxes. Does this sound about right? Also, I am told that I may apply to waive taxes. Has anybody done this? If I apply, how likely is it to be accepted? And does this mean that there would be no deductions at all from my salary, or does it only exempt me from some deductions?
The good part is that I can rent an apartment on campus for 3000 RMB a month that is suitable for myself and my Filipina wife. This seems pretty good. Bad news is that there is no kind of relocation expenses, so I have to bear the costs and hassle of getting visa etc. for my wife and myself up front.
Money wise it is better than what I am getting now, but not as good as what I might be getting if certain fellowship applications come through, but which I am not going to know about until February, and the best one (a Marie Curie fellowship, which are highly competitive) I am not likely to get).
Anybody out there to offer advice, encouragement, or discouragement?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible job move to Guangzhou

20000 RMB a month in wages per month is about £2000.

Is the overseas move a long term thing or not? If you want to move back to the UK later, it may be best for you to keep your National Insurance contributions up to date by paying Class 3 NI contributions -

https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-cla...rance/overview