P.R.China, any advise?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

erexchen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: P.R.China, any advise?

Originally Posted by dys
erexchen - nice try to redeem yourself, but your original point was not based on the location of the employer but based on where the salary was paid. Two completely different issues. Stick to the non-tax legal work 吧。

Dutchie - just because the salary is paid into an offshore account does not mean its tax free. If you are resident in China i.e spend more than 183 days a calendar year there you need to declare it to the tax authorities. if you didnt the chinese tax authorities could easily pick up on that because its being remitted overseas by a chinese company. Anyway this is academic seeing as the offers off.
I think you don't understand correctly what Dutchie said about his salary package. I dealt with a lot of cases like his. That is, Detchie is dispatched by an oversea company to China and work in a Chinese company. Of course, this Chinese company may be invested by or have business relationship with the oversea company. Like Detchie, he is dispatched to work for a project. His salary have two parts. One part is paid by the oversea company and the other part is paid by the Chinese company. Since he works in China, he shall pay tax according to Chinese law. If he works for less than 90 days or 183 days in a calendar year, he is not necessary to pay tax for the oversea salary to Chinese tax authority in China. But that does not mean he shall not pay tax for the oversea salary according to the law of his home country. If he works for more than 90 days or 183 days in a calendar year, he shall pay tax for both the Chinese salary and oversea salary to the Chinese tax authority. If he pays tax for the oversea salary in China, according to tax treaty, this paid tax can be exempted in his home country.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:35 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I think the real reason that Dutchie didn't go to China is that he was worried that everyone would pass him on the left hand side.

Sorry.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:08 am
dys
Just Joined

dys is an unknown quantity at this point

erexchen:

Somehow I think you're the one that doesn't understand, not me. If you read Dutchie's original post it's clear (at least how he's phrased it) that he's not employed by an overseas company which is sending him to china for a project, but rather he would have been employed by the local company on contract.

Also in your original post you made no mention of the fact that Chinese tax payable is dependent on the number of days he resides in China. You made a blanket statement that any tax paid offshore is not subject to tax without any qualification - highly misleading i thought.

What i have always said is that if he spends more than 183 days in china, the salary paid offshore will still be taxable in China. Do you not agree with that?

Also, just a semantic point but under a double tax treaty any overseas tax you suffer is not "exempted" but is relieved by being offset against the tax liability in the other country.

Tony
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:33 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
I think the real reason that Dutchie didn't go to China is that he was worried that everyone would pass him on the left hand side.
Groan!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

(A) Does anyone have any experience with transferring a work and residents visa from one employer to an other while in China? I've been searching the internet but can hardly find anything on the subject.

Not terribly difficult. Make sure you keep all that stuff about the 20k paid overseas out of the official papers or you'll be paying tax on it.

(B) Is US$3500 paid out in local currency enough to live off for one month in China? Keeping in mind I'm not really a club or bar guy. I would be living and working just outside of Beijing.

Yes. However your main question is that if you are in a position so high-level that a company is willing to pay you US$20k a month, will the work permit authorities believe US$3.5k is all you are getting? Beef the US$3.5k up in your contact by adding housing allowances and stuff. A housing allowance is tax deductable if it's in your contract, as are medical expenses, and flights home. Do get a car and driver if you can. A car on its own is useless. You want a nice new Buick GL8 (known as a "gee ell baa") and a driver. You don't want to drive in China. If you have to get taxis and you already speak Chinese, don't forget to run all your words together and add "er" to all nouns.

(C) Is there a large expat community / hot spots in Beijing?

Yes. There are many large expats in Beijing and they have indeed formed a community. Ring the British Chamber and ask to speak about The Hash. Make sure it's not the Public Security Bureau you're ringing or there could be some confusion.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Hi,

I'm not a British national, but have been offered a short term project in the P.R.China for six, perhaps eight months. I've been searching the internet but can hardly find any info on the questions I have. Basically my package offered is as follows:

(1) US$ 20.000,= per month (US$ 3.500 paid out in China in local currency per month, which is subject to taxes, but can't find any data on the actual tax rates itself. US$ 16.500,= transfered directly from the US into my European none resident account)

(2) Company paid apartment and car if wanted (Although have been warned driving a car there is a major headache)

(3) By contract, once I'm finished with this project I'm given a month paid to either find an other job in China, or leave.

My questions are:

(A) Does anyone have any experience with transferring a work and residents visa from one employer to an other while in China? I've been searching the internet but can hardly find anything on the subject.

(B) Is US$3500 paid out in local currency enough to live off for one month in China? Keeping in mind I'm not really a club or bar guy. I would be living and working just outside of Beijing.

Dutchie

I have travelled to China. $3,500 a month Yankee is defenitely more than enough to live in China. You will NOT have to eat the cheap MSG infested dodgy 3 RMB (fifty cents) noodles like I did. You can go eat at the high quality restarants which are more edible than the streetstall food that will make you throw up. (talking from experience).

Make sure you take a nice digital camera so you can take pictures of signs, as copying Putonghua is impossible. My attempt failed as I drew those untelligible scripts so poorly it looked nothing like what they can recognize. The only foreigner I found writing it out with any success was a Japanese backpacker I met who got around Chengdu with greater ease than I. I ended up having to follow him to see various exhibits.

The locals often live on about 800 Yuan a month. (About $120.00 USD)
Even I being a frugal bastard as everyone knows, had to spend 2000 RMB a month to live in China. But you will have no problems in China with that much money.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Father Jack

Not terribly difficult. Make sure you keep all that stuff about the 20k paid overseas out of the official papers or you'll be paying tax on it.

Yes. However your main question is that if you are in a position so high-level that a company is willing to pay you US$20k a month, will the work permit authorities believe US$3.5k is all you are getting? Beef the US$3.5k up in your contact by adding housing allowances and stuff. A housing allowance is tax deductable if it's in your contract, as are medical expenses, and flights home. Do get a car and driver if you can. A car on its own is useless. You want a nice new Buick GL8 (known as a "gee ell baa") and a driver. You don't want to drive in China. If you have to get taxis and you already speak Chinese, don't forget to run all your words together and add "er" to all nouns.

Yes. There are many large expats in Beijing and they have indeed formed a community. Ring the British Chamber and ask to speak about The Hash. Make sure it's not the Public Security Bureau you're ringing or there could be some confusion.
I think that telling them that all you are making is 3500 dollars is convincing enough as that is still way over their heads, as 23,000 RMB which it comes to will be what they make in a year.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Some time back a poster in the Middle East section said Dutchie had in fact died. So I guess he will not be able to reply unfortunately.