P.R.China, any advise?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:47 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default P.R.China, any advise?

Hi,

I'm not a British national, but have been offered a short term project in the P.R.China for six, perhaps eight months. I've been searching the internet but can hardly find any info on the questions I have. Basically my package offered is as follows:

(1) US$ 20.000,= per month (US$ 3.500 paid out in China in local currency per month, which is subject to taxes, but can't find any data on the actual tax rates itself. US$ 16.500,= transfered directly from the US into my European none resident account)

(2) Company paid apartment and car if wanted (Although have been warned driving a car there is a major headache)

(3) By contract, once I'm finished with this project I'm given a month paid to either find an other job in China, or leave.

My questions are:

(A) Does anyone have any experience with transferring a work and residents visa from one employer to an other while in China? I've been searching the internet but can hardly find anything on the subject.

(B) Is US$3500 paid out in local currency enough to live off for one month in China? Keeping in mind I'm not really a club or bar guy. I would be living and working just outside of Beijing.

(C) Is there a large expat community / hot spots in Beijing?

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 10th 2008 at 7:23 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:55 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P.R.China, any advise?

A) So long as the new company has allowance for a foreigners visa it will be no problem.
B) You can live in Beijing on USD500 per month if you like! 3500 with an apartment supplied will leave you with plenty of money to fool around with.
C) There is a very big expat community there.

Forget about having a car there unless you have a driver. Taxis are easy and cheap and if you want to go further afield you hire a car with driver- again, cheap.

8 months in Beijing sounds like a good deal- especially if you like to experience new cultures and travel a bit. China is the most amazing country when you get out of the big cities. (Bear in mind that a city of less than 6 million is considered rural!!)
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:13 am

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
A) So long as the new company has allowance for a foreigners visa it will be no problem.
B) You can live in Beijing on USD500 per month if you like! 3500 with an apartment supplied will leave you with plenty of money to fool around with.
C) There is a very big expat community there.

Forget about having a car there unless you have a driver. Taxis are easy and cheap and if you want to go further afield you hire a car with driver- again, cheap.

8 months in Beijing sounds like a good deal- especially if you like to experience new cultures and travel a bit. China is the most amazing country when you get out of the big cities. (Bear in mind that a city of less than 6 million is considered rural!!)
Hi there Desert Dweller,

Thanks for the info, it helps in the decision making process. I have to give the American company an answer by 01-10-2008. Do you know if your allowed to keep your own passport with you? It's just in case things go wrong and I need a fast exit out of China. I would love to see a bit more of China, I've been to Beijing and the state of Guangzhou several times on business trips and liked it. The customers always saw to the transport issue then.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 13th 2008 at 6:15 am.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:30 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I see no reason why they would take your passport from you. I presume you mean your company....the govt wont take your passport.
Bear in mind I'm in Hong Kong and, like you, have only travelled there for work and pleasure.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dutchie, a friend of mine has lived in China, teaching English, for a few years, and is a good source of info. Contact him via his blog site: http://www.the-orient-express.com/china/index.shtml and tell him "kooky" sent you.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:52 am

I see no reason why they would take your passport from you. I presume you mean your company....the govt wont take your passport.
Bear in mind I'm in Hong Kong and, like you, have only travelled there for work and pleasure.
Hi,

Thanks again for the info. I spoke to two people that have lived and worked there before, one got to keep his passport, the other one had to hand it over to his employer. Well as I have two more meetings with the Americans before I have to decide I'll put that on my list of things that need to be sorted out.

Dutchie
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi Dutchie, a friend of mine has lived in China, teaching English, for a few years, and is a good source of info. Contact him via his blog site: http://www.the-orient-express.com/china/index.shtml and tell him "kooky" sent you.
Hi Seasider,

I've bookmarked your link, and will for sure try to contact him. Thanks...

Dutchie
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I read a thread about China.

I always feel like reading another one about an hour later.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Then keep on reading...
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Then keep on reading...
I think it went right over your head.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:53 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it went right over your head.
Er Dutchie stated in his first post that he was not a British National and will undoubtedly not share our daft British sense of humour. As a Brit, I thought it was funny anyhow
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:22 am
Remember

You should try living here: Whenever I have a Chinese girl..........
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:23 am
Remember

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Er Dutchie stated in his first post that he was not a British National and will undoubtedly not share our daft British sense of humour. As a Brit, I thought it was funny anyhow
There's a fair old giveaway in his username! And anyway, some of us Dutchies understand your humour!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:18 am

There's a fair old giveaway in his username! And anyway, some of us Dutchies understand your humour!
Didn't see the joke in his remark, blame it on my blond hair and blue eyes I guess. Plus slightly overworked at the moment, just finished a week of 123 hours. Sorry everyone...
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Phuket, Thailand? That's been years!!!! God wouldn't mind a deserted part of beach over there all for myself, enough food and water, a bottle of scotch for every two days backing in the sun, and a few boxes of cigars. And yes, this awesome looking exotic female creature for the occasional backrub plus a few other things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.