Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Older and moving to Hong Kong

Older and moving to Hong Kong

Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Stevelaw02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Older and moving to Hong Kong

I'm in late 50s and moving to HK with my wife. I'll be working west side of New Territories, Deep Bay, and Gold Coast has been suggested as a place to live.

There are many suggestions on the forums where to live for young or families, but I've not found suggestions for older people - maybe I've not looked hard enough! My wife won't be working and I'm nervous she will be isolated as it seems transportation from Gold Coast could be difficult. We are active and have have been expats for many years in different countries and want to enjoy our stay in Hong Kong. Any suggestions for areas where we could start to look for furnished apartment?
Steve
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Older and moving to Hong Kong

Hi welcome.

In my view even though you are seasoned expats you will most likely feel isolated living out there. You will be ok at work all day but your wife will likely feel cut off. However, there are plenty of western people that do live out there and enjoy it and it is a lovely part of Hong Kong and rentals will be significantly cheaper out there rather than in the City. However, it is quite a way from the City.

As its just the 2 of you I would seriously suggest that you rent an apartment right in the City either on HK Island or in Kowloon. Your wife will have close access to all the action as will you when you are at home. However, it means that you need to commute and whether or not that is attractive to you will depend on a number of things like your working hours, modes of travel and if on public transport how good the transport services are to your place of work and back.

Public transportation in Hong Kong is generally first rate and second to none but I am not familiar with transport services in that area. It may be that it would be more convenient to have a car. From HK Island to the Gold Coast area by car would only be around 30 minutes depending on traffic but probably 45 to 60 minutes by public transport.

I suggest keeping an open mind until you get here when you can explore and get a good idea of what is involved.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Re: Older and moving to Hong Kong

The Gold Coast is actually well served by public transport. There are a large number of local and Chinese and expats living there in the various high rise towers.