Moving to Macau

Old May 24th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Tadia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Macau

Hello

I am a single mum of 2 young children and would like to move to Macau should i be offered a post as English teacher which is currently in the pipeline).

Can anyone offer any much needed information and advise about Macau,visa restrictions, standard of living, accommodation, preschool and childcare?

Cheers!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

deos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Macau

Hello Tadia

I live currently in Macau with my 3 years old daughter and wife, who is Macanese and I can answer any questions you might have.

You will most likely struggle financially as English teacher in Macau with two kids. Do you know how much will you be paid? Salaries are not that great and even teaching English philology at a top University here you will not make you enough for a decent accommodation, childcare and standard of living. If it is just a private English school you might expect up to 10000 HKD per month.

And outside teaching English there are very few opportunities for foreigners who don't speak Chinese - mostly McJobs (bar, cleaning, hostess etc) and highly qualified top management (but a multinational company transfer is preferred choice of moving here).

Visa restrictions: unless you have a Macau ID card you can't work legally in Macau. This is strictly enforced. Employer can arrange a work permit (temporary ID card) for you prior to your arrival, but English schools that I know of are not happy to do that for people from outside. My wife enquired today at one of them and that what she was told.

There are enough available English teachers in Macau, both locals and westerners. Foreigners with ID cards that don't speak Cantonese can't do anything else here really. Anyhow, the school would need to satisfy certain conditions regarding your teaching qualifications (diplomas / degree) and show that they are unable to find teachers locally.

Standard of living: generally low value for money but better than in Hong Kong. Expect to live in a relative slum unless you can afford to pay London-high rates for apartment rental Macau is very crowded (the most densely populated territory in the world), not enough space for kids to play, forget about parks or a private garden. Healthcare and education is still not entirely free and of good quality, but it's getting there. Climate can be unbearable during spring and summer so expect to spend much (all) time indoors.

It is difficult to buy some necessary western products to which you may be accustomed to, from food to home appliances - and they are extremely overpriced. You must blend in and learn to cope with (or enjoy!) local, Asian products. I am talking of baby pushchairs, highchairs, washing machines, furniture, tools, yoghurt and milk and many, many more.

Many services and products are not available at all but you can get anything you wish from Hong Kong which is just an hour away by ferry (not sure if you will be able to carry a stove or bed mattress from HK though)

Accommodation: Easy to find - newspapers, local agents and internet search will show you specific choices. Many foreigners live on Taipa, where blocks are more modern than in Macau. An average, nice two bedroom 500sq. ft apartment in Taipa could cost you from 10000-15000 HKD per month. (800-1300 pounds). Lower quality older flat in Macau are somewhat less.

Childcare: surprisingly there are many affordable possibilities, from a Filipino maid / nanny, through a private English or Chinese playschool / nursery to government kindergartens.

For the government ones (best and cheapest) you need to sign up half a year in advance as there is always a big competition for spaces from locals. There are plenty of Filipino women looking for work as child minders / maids and they are very popular choice for the local Chinese population - many would just live with their hosts in a spare room and cook, iron, clean and take care of kids while parents work.

On the positive side nightlife, local food, proximity of everything (you will never need a car) are great. Also, there are many business possibilities for entrepreneurial foreigners. Setting up a businesses in Macau is extremely easy and straightforward (unless it's a restaurant or other licensed activity) and there is heavy demand for virtually everything here.

Last edited by deos; Aug 16th 2011 at 1:05 pm. Reason: correction
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:59 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say Hi Tadia and welcome to BE. All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Deos, are we cousins?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:00 am
Just Joined

aptann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, have u moved to Macau?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

aptann is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Macau

Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined