Moving to Hong Kong in July

Old May 11th 2013, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

londonerinhongkong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Hong Kong in July

Hi all

I am from London (if you couldn't tell from the name!) and am moving to Hong Kong in July. Anyone know of any events or groups to meet other British expats in Hong Kong or just meet people in general?
Old May 12th 2013, 9:14 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hong Kong in July

Hi and welcome to the forum You could have a look at meetup.com I'm not in HK so cannot help you further. Hopefully some HK residents can give you some good suggestions.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that you have the correct perception of what Hong Kong is like.. Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan City. Its community is extremely diverse. It is full of British, Australian, American, HK locals, Chinese mainlanders. Want to meet a brit. Go to the pub...Go to a bar... Join a sports club, join the hash house harriers. We dont have clubs where just the Brits get together.... its not the middle east... You are probably in for a pleasant surprise...
Old May 13th 2013, 2:22 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, walk down the street.

It's a very diverse and cosmopolitan city, but it also has a large number of transients here for a few years and then back home. As such, I've found most expats to be rather welcoming to new comers and willing to chat / meet, etc much more easily than say back home. Walk into a pub filled with expats, are look at a meetup group for your interests and you'll quickly find yourself amongst a number of people. I wouldn't limit myself to just Brits as you'll meet Americans, French, Russians and many others here.

There's a shared commonality of "we were all new once" for many expats, and the fact that you are 6,000 miles from home. You'll blend in pretty quickly.
Old May 13th 2013, 9:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
I am not sure that you have the correct perception of what Hong Kong is like.. Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan City. Its community is extremely diverse. It is full of British, Australian, American, HK locals, Chinese mainlanders. Want to meet a brit. Go to the pub...Go to a bar... Join a sports club, join the hash house harriers. We dont have clubs where just the Brits get together.... its not the middle east... You are probably in for a pleasant surprise...
Not sure you read the new poster's first post correctly? He said "to meet other British expats in Hong Kong or just meet people in general?"

Why don't you suggest some places and help the guy? What sports club? Which hash house harriers? Which pubs? The guy is new.
Old May 13th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

The guy is not here yet he is coming in July.
The point of mine and penguins response is that you wont have to do anything to meet Brits or other people. HK is such a cosmopolitan and 24 hrs City that you probably could not avoid meeting Brits and others.
If the guy wants pub recommendations then these can be provided together with other specific details in response to a specific queries.
Old May 18th 2013, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi all

Thanks for the reply. Just to set the record. I think my post has been misinterpreted. I am a Brit moving to Hong Kong, but i am in fact also a Hong Kong citizen. I do not know anyone in Hong Kong and am moving there permanently to work. I am interested in meeting other expats either from the UK or anywhere but in general just looking at making friends British, Chinese or otherwise!

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old May 20th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by londonerinhongkong
Hi all

I think my post has been misinterpreted. I am a Brit moving to Hong Kong, but i am in fact also a Hong Kong citizen.
That is probably because in your post you stated you were from London and you were moving to HK !!!!

You surely have family here in HK ????
Old May 20th 2013, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Hong Konger you make many assumptions. Perhaps we are all not as lucky as you.

Thank you for your comments, they have been noted.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, was just trying to fill in the gaps from the limited info. Without making an assumption can I ask if you are HK Chinese ? Do you speak Cantonese ? Have you ever been to HK before ? I know quite a few HK Chinese who grew up overseas in USA, Canada and UK and they have come back here to work and live. Some have no / limited Cantonese. They have all adapted very quickly but most have some family here, hence my "assumption".
Old May 21st 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Sorry, was just trying to fill in the gaps from the limited info. Without making an assumption can I ask if you are HK Chinese ? Do you speak Cantonese ? Have you ever been to HK before ? I know quite a few HK Chinese who grew up overseas in USA, Canada and UK and they have come back here to work and live. Some have no / limited Cantonese. They have all adapted very quickly but most have some family here, hence my "assumption".
None of this has really much to do with the original question has it?

Meetup.com is probably the best bet, it is very easy to meet other foreigners in HK if you are social and friendly. There are also groups on facebook where people arrange social events.
Old May 22nd 2013, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supernoodles
None of this has really much to do with the original question has it?

Meetup.com is probably the best bet, it is very easy to meet other foreigners in HK if you are social and friendly. There are also groups on facebook where people arrange social events.
No it doesn't and that was because I was no longer answering the original question, I was responding to the OP's follow up response.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi supernoodles

Thanks for the info and tip. Really helpful.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Rony is an unknown quantity at this point

don't you use Social media?
Old May 25th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by londonerinhongkong
Hi supernoodles

Thanks for the info and tip. Really helpful.
Good luck anyway. I am sure you will find lots of friends.