Mid 40s moving to HK?

Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Swiss-Flutterby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mid 40s moving to HK?

Hi,

I am currently considering moving to HK (my contract is still in negotiation).

Has anyone in the forum made this step at my age? I mean moving there without family?

Reading the various blogs and forums, I got the feeling that people move there in their mid 20s and leave again after a few years.

Is it very difficult to re-start a social life at my age in HK?

Gina
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mid 40s moving to HK?

Male or female you'll be fine.

Our first housing agent was a divorced woman about 40 ish.
She used to have a great time. We moved into a house just 3 doors from where she was living so had first hand experience.

In the end it's up to you as it is everywhere.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swiss-Flutterby
Hi,

I am currently considering moving to HK (my contract is still in negotiation).

Has anyone in the forum made this step at my age? I mean moving there without family?

Reading the various blogs and forums, I got the feeling that people move there in their mid 20s and leave again after a few years.

Is it very difficult to re-start a social life at my age in HK?

Gina
Hi Gina,

I can't help at all with your question, but I just wanted to pop by and say hi and welcome you to the site.

Congratulations on the job offer, sounds like an exciting adventure. Personally I think life is sooo short we should grab the opportunities when they come along.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

You will have absolutely no problems. If you are starting a new life, so to speak, you may even end up staying here for good. Just dont get trapped into the drinking in a bar every night routine. Leave Wednesday free for the gym
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:57 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of odd but in the corporate / finance world you do say a decade in the home office and then they start to "groom" you for more senior management. That's the time when you often get an overseas assignment, management of a few people in the remote office. There are a number of mid 30s, 40s, kids still in primary school expats over here.

I would second the advice about staying out of the pubs every night though. Easy to get caught up in that world.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

roybern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retired Teacher In Hong Kong

Trying to get a teaching position at an International School in Hong Kong. I had a couple of favorable responses but I agree with the concerns about social life. I think the advice of at least one gym evening a week is excellent.
We shall see.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Swiss-Flutterby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that relaxes my concerns a bit.

Bars and Fitness is fine - as long as it is more Bars than Fitness

I guess I can forget about playing Golf (at reasonable green fees) in HK?

Have another round of Interviwes and the salary discussion ahead of me, i.e. still some potential show stoppers...

Gina
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Golf is do-able. There is a public course in Sai Kung. If you manage to join one of the many sports clubs here they usually have a golf society and arrange day trips in HK or over the border in Mainland China to one of the many courses. If you have time on your hands at weekends and you really want to play then you will have plenty of opportunity. Yes you are correct about the green fees !!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

You'll be fine with the right attitude, most of the 40 year olds I know are in a relationship (many without kids) but that might just be because I rarely partake in the drinking scene so don't meet the single ones easily.
The expat community in HK, in my experience is quite welcoming.
However if you are female and in your 40s and wanting to meet men then it will be harder for you to meet guys than where you are from as there is more 'competition'...this is just what I've been told !