Manchuria

Old May 1st 2016, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manchuria

I know this is a bit of a long shot and my Google-wu fails me.

My mum sent me some old pics and a couple of them was of Hakujochi, Manchuria, this was in the mid 1930's, a few years after the Japanese invaded.

It doesn't exist any more and Google has been no help.

Just curious if any one knows where this might have been and could point out so more recent photo's of the place?
Old May 1st 2016, 2:21 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchuria

Almost a guess, but here goes......
Were there any people in the pictures? Any European people. White people? Maybe it was describing the people rather than the place? As that is what I think those first two syllables mean. (White people ha ku, or bai ren in Chinese)
Old May 1st 2016, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchuria

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Almost a guess, but here goes......
Were there any people in the pictures? Any European people. White people? Maybe it was describing the people rather than the place? As that is what I think those first two syllables mean. (White people ha ku, or bai ren in Chinese)
No, just pics of her and a couple of sisters/brothers and a maid. She was just a few years old in them and the family scarpered to Korea as refugee's when things kicked off in the war.

As far as she remembers, it was a small town, but was mostly destroyed when the Chinese took it back from the Japanese.