Macau research guidance.

Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Macauhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Macau research guidance.

Hi all.

I'm a 41 year old single professional British man, and have been researching the possibility of relocating from London to Macau in order to take up an employment position which has recently become available. I would realistically be looking at a minimum of a four year contract so intend to immerse myself fully in the local culture and language.

I have researched the culture, people, taxation, climate, pollution levels, crime, finance, costs and most of the usual questions one would ask before making such a leap, and as yet haven't really found anything major to put me off. I'm sure the humidity will put me in my place ...

The company is a multinational and multicultural company and I am looking forward to trying to learn the basics of the Cantonese language as I believe that will be a great help.

My real questions are mainly about the Expat community in Macau. There doesn't appear to be that much activity on forums or travel sites from foreign workers to Macau. Google brings up the same half dozen posts that are mainly over 2 years old and with very few structured replies.

Does anybody know of any groups, specific areas of the City, places, contacts or Internet based forums (besides this one, obviously) or websites that deal with English speaking Expats working and living in Macau? Is there an Expat 'community' out there? Are there 'Rugby clubs' or the odd hidden 'pub' where we might meet other Brits, Paddys, Aussies, Kiwis, Yanks etc?

Anybody living and working there now with any 'top tips' or 'dos and don'ts' that you wish you had know before setting off?
All positive or negative comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
11June2014.

1st beer is on me.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Macau research guidance.

I have never lived in Macau but have visited many times. The best thing about Macau is that it is only a couple hours ferry ride away Hong Kong !

When you say you want to immerse yourself in the local culture do you mean the gambling ? and the best of British luck with the Cantonese. After you have mastered Cantonese you can try the Macanese

A 4 yr. contract sounds quite long. Is that normal in the type of work you do ?

Actually, Macau is a fine place and I am sure you will love it but compared to Hong Kong its a bit sleepy, but then again you are only 2 hours away.

Sorry cant help with your queries on clubs and pubs.

Last edited by hong_konger; Jun 13th 2014 at 5:27 am.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply hong_konger.

Your first reply was a little sharp ..... "The best thing about Macau is that it is near HK"...But I see you have now written a little more; thanks.

No, not to immerse myself in gambling as this is not the culture but the financial mainstay and tourist attraction and doesn't interest me. I wish to explore and take in the real country and its surroundings, not just lock myself away in my room every night.

At no point did I say I was going to "Master" cantonese. I said I will be "trying to learn the basics". As for Macanese .... Unless I am mistaken, this language is not used as much these days?

The contract will be as long as I require but I have found from other work abroad that 4 years gives a real feel for the surroundings, and as I have never been to Macau or China itself, it should give me plenty of time to explore.

Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply hong_konger.

Your first reply was a little sharp ..... "The best thing about Macau is that it is near HK"...But I see you have now written a little more; thanks.

No, not to immerse myself in gambling as this is not the culture but the financial mainstay and tourist attraction and doesn't interest me. I wish to explore and take in the real country and its surroundings, not just lock myself away in my room every night.

At no point did I say I was going to "Master" cantonese. I said I will be "trying to learn the basics". As for Macanese .... Unless I am mistaken, this language is not used as much these days?

The contract will be as long as I require but I have found from other work abroad that 4 years gives a real feel for the surroundings, and as I have never been to Macau or China itself, it should give me plenty of time to explore.

Thanks.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Pigletsleftear is an unknown quantity at this point

The International Ladies Club of Macau is a good place to start - not just for ladies! They have a Facebook group.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:50 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Piglet
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Pigletsleftear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks baked bean!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pigletsleftear
The International Ladies Club of Macau is a good place to start - not just for ladies! They have a Facebook group.

Thanks very much for that Piglet. Great bit of info. Now have them on Facebook.

Thank you.