Living & Working in HK/China

Old May 23rd 2015, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Otakujin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living & Working in HK/China

My Company are talking to me about a 12-18 month secondment to HK from the UK, my family would stay here in the UK and I wondered if anyone could tell me how this would affect my tax position would I be able to pay local tax as it is much lower than here in the UK also any information on what its like to live in HK would be great.

Thanks
Old May 24th 2015, 8:54 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living & Working in HK/China

Just to say Welcome to the forum I cannot help you but hopefully someone will be along soon to give you an answer
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Does the deal you have from the company include any housing allowance? House cost in the HK is very high.

I do not know whether you can pay HK or UK taxes while on secondment in Hong Kong for a UK company. However, if you end up paying HK taxes, you may wish to pay class 3 national insurance contribution to give you extra UK pension rights -

https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-cla...rance/overview

You also wish to open a Hong Kong bank account before your move. I would suggest you go to the local HSBC to see what they can do -

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/overseas-account-opening

HSBC is one of the biggest retail bank in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess that unless you become non resident in the UK, which requires a full 12 month outside UK, April to April then you will be subject to UK tax on your earnings and housing allowance if you have one. This used to be the case when I was working in HK a few years ago, 17 years akchewlee.

HKG3 is spot on about paying Class 3 NI contribution.

If your company are talking about a secondment then I'd presume they should already have all the info you require.
No problem in getting an outside view though as 'companies will be companies' and their bottom line will come first rather than the interests of the individual.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

The UK have made extensive changes the requirements for being classified as a non resident for tax purposes. There is now a statutory residents test. It works like flow chart. You need to down load it from the HMRC web site. Being out of the UK for a full tax year (April to April) is now just one of a number of requirements that need to be satisfied.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Otakujin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback, will have to check this some more as need to ensure i do not end up worse off.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link to the document that details the new rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt