Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Live in ShenZhen Work in HongKong. Possible or not?

Live in ShenZhen Work in HongKong. Possible or not?

Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:29 am
Just Joined

JKSHEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live in ShenZhen Work in HongKong. Possible or not?

Hi there. I'm currently in England as a senior software engineer. My wife has moved first to ShenZhen as a Senior teacher with both our daughters aged 3 and 7 years.

Looking at salaries it seems Hong Kong is a better bet for myself but wondering whether we can cross the border that easily. What are the main differences between living in ShenZhen and HongKong?

Do many people work in Hongkong and live in ShenZhen?

Oh also, I'm british Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese and English all fine). My wife is English.

Thanks
Jackson
Old Oct 25th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all
Default Re: Live in ShenZhen Work in HongKong. Possible or not?

You would need to have the right to work in HK to work in HK i.e. A permanent HKID card RTL/ROA or you would need to get a working visa through securing a job in HK & getting your application granted by immigration.
There are people that have this arrangement as a lot of men have mainland wives who are unable (or don't want) to move to HK, but whether they do it everyday or just on the weekends I wouldn't know.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:59 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what type of passport or electronic ID you have, but if you are traveling on a paper passport you will fast fill it up and run out of pages. Not to mention the 60-90 minute commute each way, with more time when the lines are pretty bad at immigration.

What passports / right to live / work visas do you have in hand?

It's often talked about but I don't think it is done that often, unless work happens to be in the New Territories just over the border (there are quite a few kids who live in Shenzhen but school in Hong Kong).
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:37 am
Just Joined

JKSHEN is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks. Your information on timings was most informative. I have a british paper passport and currently considering jobs in HongKong. My wife also has a british passport but a work visa along with our daugthers to stay in mainland China.

Thank you. 60-90 minutes every day would be too much. The working day is long enough and at the moment I only need 5 minutes to get from home to work here in England.
Thanks
Jackson