Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Job offer for Beijing Internship

Job offer for Beijing Internship

Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

jackthedesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Job offer for Beijing Internship

Hi There -

My name's Jack, I'm an industrial designer and have just received a job offer for a paid internship in Beijing. Still processing how great it was to receive the email from my potential boss!

I have holidayed around the world, but this would be my first instance of living abroad for an extended period of time (the length of my internship is flexible based on my needs.)

I am just putting feelers out and researching anything on the topic of moving to China, gathering as much information and advice as I can. Wondering if anyone here has anything to share that may help me on my way/help me avoid mistakes - in particular I'm wondering how best to meet people once I touch down in Beijing..

A few details about my position -

I will starting in August this year, and will be living in an apartment supplied and paid for by my company. I'll be on a -low- intern wage, but with some help from my family and my savings I am confident that money will not be an issue, having looked into cost of everyday living (having said that, please let me know if I am making too little of this).

I have been speaking with my soon-to-be colleagues over email, and skype - the company is completely multi national and very sociable - during my interviews I was asked if I would be up for engaging with people from work in a social setting as well as in the studio, which I can only see as a positive.

I, myself, am outgoing and enjoy very much being around people - I am not phased by the language barrier, but have -zero- mandarin experience; something I am in the process of remedying (mandarin is hard!).

That's about it. I would be so grateful for any advice, cheers!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:26 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer for Beijing Internship

Just to say Welcome to the forum
Old Apr 26th 2015, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

rebeccalondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Better start to learn some Mandarin, i am sure it will help, even just a few words!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

08dobsonb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm also moving to Beijing for an internship although in July. I was wondering how much you were thinking about living off? I am so laid back I basically have nothing sorted haha. What district will you be staying in, i'm looking for accommodation now and literally don't know where to start!
Old May 25th 2015, 12:08 am
Banned

Tomorrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful guys. There are quite a few China internship scams here in China. If they ask you to pay money (other than your air fare) they are a fraud. The legitimate Fortune 500 internships you get for free directly from the HR office of the company where you want to work. Google China internship scams before you buy a plane ticket. One of my good friends got burned for $3,700 last year. Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 4:18 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

As a guide, anything above 5500yuan per month is fine but you may not save much, Beijing is expensive by Chinese standards, as is Shanghai, Changsha, Guangzhou etc, no different to any other country really, the bigger the city the more expensive.
Beijing is modern, and has excellent food and a wide social scene for foreigners.
When you arrive it is custom to be taken for lunch/dinner, where they will ply you with Bai Jiu, a 40% vodka type drink Bai Jiu means white wine, but it's neither white nor wine!!!!
Note, you can only drink at a meal when accepting a toast or offering a toast, the procedure is to offer a toast to everyone around the table, at least twice!!!, remember they will each offer a toast to you. The Chinese find it amusing to make each other drunk, fortunately they don't have the same ability to consume alcohol western people have.
Personally I request Beer or red wine, as I dislike getting drunk.