Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

How much luggage do I need, really?

How much luggage do I need, really?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

philllane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much luggage do I need, really?

Hi, I'm moving to Beijing at the start of March and looking for advice on what and how much I should take with me.

Obviously I don't want to pack needless amounts of towels, bedding etc. and have to pay for shipping; equally, there's no point having to buy everything again when I get there if it's just going to sit in storage back home.

I won't be taking any furniture/kitchen stuff as I'll be in a furnished flat - but what advice can anyone give on what I absolutely need to bring from home? Any ideas on things you'd have done differently are most welcome...

Thanks

Phill
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much luggage do I need, really?

Phill,

Just bring a change of clothes, and some underwear.
Buy the rest when you get here.
Seriously, don't bother bringing much at all.

At the most, just bring a standard 20kg suitcase, and thats the very max you want to bring.

vette
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:02 am
Just Joined

lady1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Phill,

Firstly, I would check if your apartment includes such things as bedding, towels, kitchen items (crockery etc). If it doesn't, you'll either need to bring it or buy it.
We rent a furnished apartment but it only has furniture & white goods, not a plate, cup, knife etc etc, we had to go to Ikea and buy everything as we have left our adult children in our UK home & they need it all there!.

Good luck!
Regards
lady1964
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:45 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

bring clothes and basic survival stuff like one plate knife bowl etc until you know what is there. Buy everything else over there as it is probably cheaper.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

philllane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this. At least I now know that I can buy what I forget, even if I don't ideally want to spend the first month shopping!

On a related note - what's the deal with radio in Beijing? The reason I ask is because I'm wedded to waking up to it, but there's little point in having my radio alarm clock if there's no radio apart from the BBC World Service (which is great, but hardly likely to wake me up...)

Am I going to have to use a horrible, beeping alarm for the next few years?

Funny the things that seem to concern me most!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

With regards to radio's, you could spend a bit of money on one of those internet radios. They are a little pricey (starting at around 100 pounds), but I'm sure you could get one cheap in china.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philllane
Thanks for this. At least I now know that I can buy what I forget, even if I don't ideally want to spend the first month shopping!

On a related note - what's the deal with radio in Beijing? The reason I ask is because I'm wedded to waking up to it, but there's little point in having my radio alarm clock if there's no radio apart from the BBC World Service (which is great, but hardly likely to wake me up...)

Am I going to have to use a horrible, beeping alarm for the next few years?

Funny the things that seem to concern me most!
Hi, I am not sure it will take a month to buy more stuff,
Not even a week, maybe a day is closer.

Silk market is your friend, on number 1 tube line, red line, Yong An Li, is 2 minute walk to the silk market.
There is all you really need there, plus radios.

Vette