Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong vs. Singapore - your preference?

Hong Kong vs. Singapore - your preference?

Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Hermespan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong vs. Singapore - your preference?

Straight off I tell you that for multiple reasons I much prefer the red dot over HKG. But there must be some reasons so many British expats stay here in Hong Kong.

My question is this... If your work/income and relationship situation could be the same in Singapore would you stay in Hong Kong? And if so, why? Is there some great advantage of Hong Kong over Singapore for non Chinese speakers? The only advantages I can see are proximity to China and tax-free status. For example, it is faster to get to East Asia and especially China. ihave to pay taxes taking in rare coins to Singapore, but not into Hong Kong. Big deal

The impression I get is that Hong Kong is for business, whole other Asian cities are better value and have more relaxing lifestyle. Thus, Hong Kong is for the ambitious while Singapore is a compromise compared to Bangkok and more suited to tourists and the retire rent is expensive in both Singapore and Hong Kong compared to Bangkok (and especially compared to HCMC). But let's keep this comparison between Singspore and Hong Kong.

Singapore I can tolerate for short periods of great infrastructure but Hong Kong overwhelms me somehow. Perhaps this is because I am used to living in Chiang Mai and Hanoi, but I am trying to get into the head of people who prefer metropolises.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong vs. Singapore - your preference?

Are you talking about living/working, or living/retired? Both expensive places of course.

I've only lived/worked in Singapore but enjoyed it there 2005-2007 and enjoyed travelling there in prior years.

I have a friend here in Penang who worked in Hong Kong 2 years ago, then moved to Singapore for a year working, now back in Penang. She said she preferred Hong Kong.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

It's horses for courses. Some will prefer one some will prefer the other.

Pointless argument imo.
We've lived and worked in both.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

The thing with Hong Kong is that most people who have never lived here only ever see the harbour and the skyscraper skyline in photos or on TV. It defines Hong Kong and because of that people automatically assume that is it, there is nothing else.

Well this very public facade keeps hidden an unbelievable City that is only properly experienced by its residents. Outside of the Central City Business Districts and 5* hotels you have the many Country Parks. Vast area of unspoilt green countryside with hiking trails up and down mountains and to some of the best beaches in the world. There are small villages with local shops and restaurants including many seafood restaurants. Take a junk trip to one of the many outlying islands or to one of the remote beaches and stop at a seafood restaurant on the way.

I have visited Singapore many times for over 30 years but have never lived there. I love the place and I would no doubt enjoy living there but I get the feeing I would feel like a foreigner. In Hong Kong i do not feel like a foreigner.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

kay kay is an unknown quantity at this point

As for me, to keep it short:
a. transportation - SG, better MRT system also cab
b. fresh air - SG unlike air pollution in HK
c. food - SG multinational
d. business - HK
e. cost living - same
f. traveling around the city-sightseeing - HK, SG is way to small
and HK is closer to europe n us
g. shopping - HK, no tax
h. weekend getaway -Both

i am living in Hk and used to live in SG for 2 years.
I love both.
K

Originally Posted by Hermespan
Straight off I tell you that for multiple reasons I much prefer the red dot over HKG. But there must be some reasons so many British expats stay here in Hong Kong.

My question is this... If your work/income and relationship situation could be the same in Singapore would you stay in Hong Kong? And if so, why? Is there some great advantage of Hong Kong over Singapore for non Chinese speakers? The only advantages I can see are proximity to China and tax-free status. For example, it is faster to get to East Asia and especially China. ihave to pay taxes taking in rare coins to Singapore, but not into Hong Kong. Big deal

The impression I get is that Hong Kong is for business, whole other Asian cities are better value and have more relaxing lifestyle. Thus, Hong Kong is for the ambitious while Singapore is a compromise compared to Bangkok and more suited to tourists and the retire rent is expensive in both Singapore and Hong Kong compared to Bangkok (and especially compared to HCMC). But let's keep this comparison between Singspore and Hong Kong.

Singapore I can tolerate for short periods of great infrastructure but Hong Kong overwhelms me somehow. Perhaps this is because I am used to living in Chiang Mai and Hanoi, but I am trying to get into the head of people who prefer metropolises.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kay kay
d. business - HK
e. cost living - same
g. shopping - HK, no tax
h. weekend getaway -Both

I love both.
K
Interesting take on it Kay. I guess I don't know Singapore well enough to make a proper comparison
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Chaues is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kay kay
d. business - HK
e. cost living - same
g. shopping - HK, no tax
h. weekend getaway -Both

I love both.
K
When I was in HK everyone kept saying the pollution was bad, but I didn't get much of it. Perhaps it was because I was in the Sai Kung area?