Hong Kong or New Zealand

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:32 pm
rmj
Just Joined

Location: Wellington...there where the mighty Hurricanes come from...be afraid....be very very afraid!!!
rmj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nicermj is just really nice
Default Hong Kong or New Zealand

We have the opportunity to live in Hong Kong or New Zealand.

The problem is we cant make up our mind, and we have visas for both.

We are coming from the UK, not british though - South African + Singaporean with a 14 month old baby.

We are both working as Nurses, salaries will be much higher in Hong Kong but the life style in NZ would be much better.

We have discussed this for over a month now and we just can not come to a decision. What do we do?

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Hong Kong or New Zealand

Originally Posted by rmj
We have the opportunity to live in Hong Kong or New Zealand.

The problem is we cant make up our mind, and we have visas for both.

We are coming from the UK, not british though - South African + Singaporean with a 14 month old baby.

We are both working as Nurses, salaries will be much higher in Hong Kong but the life style in NZ would be much better.

We have discussed this for over a month now and we just can not come to a decision. What do we do?

Any suggestions?
Will you both be working in Hong Kong or New Zealand? As you have a baby to consider, have you thought about what to do regarding childcare or will one of you be a stay-at-home parent?

I don't know anything about childcare options for NZ, but of course Hong Kong is similar to Singapore in that there are plenty of (mainly Filipina) maids...and no FDW levy!!! Also Singapore is just a 5 hour flight from Honkers, New Zealand is about 10 hours, so travel will be more expensive from NZ.

I would think that the Singaporean spouse would probably enjoy life in Hong Kong as it's not so dissimilar to living in Singapore really (used to live in Sing, miss it very much - especially the Colbar opp Tanglin Trust school, I really miss their chicken curry and 'full all day breakfast fry-up' LOL!...now on a posting in New Jersey).

I've only been to NZ on holiday - toured both islands in a camper van with the kids - and enjoyed it very much...however I wouldn't want to live there permanently, maybe 2-3 years (and I have no idea how it compares with South Africa?). New Zealand is just too remote from the rest of the world and too 'quiet'...we even found Christchurch to be pretty dead on a Saturday afternoon. We were friends with a teacher from United World College and he got a job in Dunedin. He hated it and the 'small town' mentality but stuck it out for a year before landing a job in Perth, Australia...however I think that NZ is tired of people going there as a quick way of getting access to move to Oz and I know they are tightening up their regulations.

Only problem with Hong Kong (which I love) is the high level of pollution which needs to be seriously taken into consideration if you have a little one.

Could you not go and live and work in Hong Kong for say, 12-18 months and then do the same in New Zealand?
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong or New Zealand

Not that it should affect your decision but there cheap flights between HK and Singapore these days.

HK is the place to go if you want to earn and save. Play hard and work hard is the ethic there.

You can live out in the country parks in HK where there is much less pollution.
And a better environment for youngsters.