Hong Kong help!

Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

loveglitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong help!

Apologies for such a general posting but I don’t know where to start and would be grateful for some advice! My partner and I have decided to move out to Hong Kong (on a whim!), we are currently thinking for 6-12mths but are really quite flexible. We do not have employment secured as of yet and therefore I have been advised to apply for work visas when we get out there after we have secured some form of employment. The issues that I would be very grateful for some help with are:
(1) Where to live: as we will not have employment secured or be sure how long we are staying the ideal would be a flexible arrangement, in a nice/interesting area but we will be quite restricted on budget for obvious reasons! Any suggestions on nice areas, agencies, temporary stay residences, an idea of budget etc would be brilliant.
(2) Employment: I am a qualified lawyer and my partner is an engineer with financial and compliance experience. I would be very grateful for some assistance as to how to go about finding work, recommended agencies, etc.
(3) Any advice on any matter that you think we should consider would be gratefully received!

Thank you very much,
S

ps Forgot to say we are both 25 if that assists with any advice.

Last edited by loveglitter; Jul 6th 2009 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong help!

Take a two week holiday there first.

Get a feel for price of accommodation and job opportunities.

It may change your mind.

6 to 12 months is ridiculous IMO and 'on a whim' is worse.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:11 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Hong Kong is in a world of pain as far as employment goes and unless you have very specific skills you will be joining a long Q of equally qualified people looking for the same job.
That said, why not give it a pop. I would recommend staying in a guest house on Lamma Island as it is cost effective and a handy base. It is an island though so you are dependent on ferries. If you want to be a bit more convenient, you could try places like the Ibis Hotel in North Point.
geoexpat.com or asiaexpat.com are quite good sources of employers and agencies.
Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:40 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few corporate apartments available in HK. I'd suggest getting one for a month or two and trying your luck knocking on doors and seeing what's what.

But if you are serious about HK, try to get a position in HK from the UK as an 'expat' so that you are in line for an expat package. Some housing or moving assistance, or some of the other benefits that are common amongst those who have been sent over. Finding a good package is probably easier if you can make the case 'hey, I'm moving over there to do this job, how about a little help?'
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Vile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the rough

IIRC, you will have to get some additional qualification to work as a solicitor in Hong Kong (google PCLL or some such). As an engineer (what type?) there will be a lot of local competition, especially at this time. In both cases, not speaking Cantonese will be a big disadvantage.

A word of warning about the 2-week holiday - it's always a good idea to check out the place first, but you will not get a true picture of life in HK except as a tourist. It's an absolutely fantastic holiday destination, but working conditions will not be what you are used to in the UK.